PPC Bootable Clone or Disc Image Options....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kumquat, Mar 20, 2015.

1. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

I have a PowerMac G5 PPC running Tiger and an old, white, Santa Rosa MacBook running Leopard.

If I create cloned disc images of these OS drives, will I be able to run them in VMWare Fusion/Parallels/etc. on a modern Intel Mac?

If I were to create bootable clones of these drives, would these need to be formatted as APM on FireWire drives that would only be accessible from the G5 &/or SR MacBook as opposed to bootable clones formatted as GUID on USB drives accessible from any modern Mac?

Is there any reason I would want to clone the drives via Target Disk Mode, hooked up to an Intel Mac, as opposed to cloning them directly from their own interfaces or from an Intel Mac with access to them via ethernet LAN?

Thanks

2. Orizence macrumors 6502

For the G5 running tiger, you can only clone the drive to work on another PowerPC Mac, this is because Tiger was never released as a universal binary.

In the case of the intel Macbook running leopard, you can image the drive, and it will work on any PowerPc or intel mac as Leopard was released as a Universal binary. Now im just not too sure about using it in VMWare, as unfortunately I have never owned an Intel mac to use VMWare on.

3. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

APM and GUID doesn't have to do with FW or USB. APM is for PowerPC and GUID for Intel-Macs. (or did I get wrong what you were saying, OP?)

FW is faster than USB, so you could put the drive in the Firewire case for cloning and then put it back in the USB case when wanting to boot the Intel machine from it. Don't know about LAN and that works better.

On your last question. Some consider it better to clone from an extra device (like using one Mac running the cloning app and then connect the other Mac, not booted into its system and from there clone to the external drive). However CCC and SD! do it running within the running OS and Disk Uitility before 10.7 (or 10.6) did clone from inside the running OS, too. Newer Macs that don't have install disks to boot disk utility from have a hidden recovery partition, that you can boot the Mac of and then copy the other partition (with you OS) to another drive.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

Just a minor correction. Whilst the retail versions of the client were only sold in the PPC version with all the Intel versions being supplied only with the Macs they were sold with, one server version (10.4.7) was sold in a universal binary format. You can just about see the UB logo on the Admin Tools disc below.

Attached Files:

5. Orizence macrumors 6502

I forgot about the Intel versions (although now to think of it I used to use a Pentium 4 hackintosh running 10.4.9....). But I never knew about the Server version being released as a Universal Binary (The more you know...)

6. weckart macrumors 68040

I didn't know about it either. It came out in 2007, I think, rather belatedly. I saw it mentioned in a blog about how to get 802.11n to work with Tiger. This server version has updated PPC WiFi drivers missing from standalone PPC releases, so I grabbed a copy just for those.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Just be aware that only that particular version(10.4.7?)is universal. Other releases if Tiger Server, such as 10.4.0 that came in the box with my Xserve(full size retail packaging) are PPC only.