PPC G5 Slowing Down

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jwjsr, Dec 9, 2012.

1. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

My g5 ppc slows down and the beach ball of death frequently appears as I use more ram even though I have plenty of free ram and no page outs, I have t reboot or close and reopen safari to get back up to speed. Any ideas?

2. MacinDan macrumors regular

If it's just Safari, you could go into your /home/Library/Safari folder and remove WebpageIcons.db, or if that doesn't work you could also remove History.plist if you don't mind losing your history. That's what sped things up for my brother.

3. ChrisMan287 macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

I think you should switch browsers. I love TenFourFox and there is an "optimized" version for your G5. Give it a try.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You could check the console log for Safari. Whenever Safari gets slow, just open up Console, find the Safari log and see what's being written to the log. If it's something that keeps getting written over and over you can then Google it and find a solution.

I used the Console logs to track down an old VNC server I had running all the time and had forgotten about as well as some issues with Spotlight/Bonjour and mDNSRespondr (which Spotlight uses). Console also gave me insight into a bunch of stuff that was making poorly coded calls when using GeekTool.

Activity Monitor can also tell you what's dragging the system down as far as CPU/Memory use. Generally though, I use iStat Menus to monitor system info. There's also MenuMeters (which is free) but iStat Menus is better I think.

----------

I love TenFourFox (and Aurora) as well. They are great apps and I use Aurora most of the time. But it has the same propensity to drag down RAM use as does Firefox. There are some things you can do to free up memory while T4Fx and Aurora are running, but ultimately a restart of the app is necessary every once in a while. T4Fx and Aurora have no panacea on memory use.

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

There's some good advice there.

You could also try Camino, which is a very low resource using browser. There are a few other browsers that are still compatible with Power PC's, including iCab, Seamonkey, and others.

6. jwjsr thread starter macrumors 6502

jwjsr

Ditto on the good advice, Thanks guys
    @cocacolakid, I notice u have 20011 mini server and I was thinking of getting the refurb 2011 server in the refurb store right now because I think it will work with my 23" ACD with ADC connection, but I would have to spend 100 on the ADC to DVI adapter used from ebay. I am now thinking I will get the mid 2012 macmini and maybe buy one of the Korean monitors(the 2012 minidefintely will not work with my ACD) because my funds manager will not let me spring for the TB display.

7. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Don't forget Leopard Webkit. It's Safari- same interface- but faster.

8. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Camino seems to be having issues rendering as reported on this forum.

9. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Sad to hear. I'm not a regular user of Camino but I know many people here swear by it.

10. ChrisMan287 macrumors 6502

ChrisMan287

I used it when I first got my G4 and it was great until that issue started happening. I then switched to TFF and never looked back :D