PPC Mac applications that open wireframe files?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedCroissant, Dec 20, 2015.

1. RedCroissant, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015

RedCroissant Suspended

When I had a late 2013 27" iMac, I was running an application called Alias Automotive and the files were exported in wireframe and have the extension .wire.

Does anyone know of any applications that can open these or of an application that is good for 3D work like Blender?

Thanks for any help at all!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@RedCroissant I did some research and found that the first version to support OS X was Autodesk Alias Automotive 2010. While it did support OS X 10.5.2, Autodesk kept the binaries Intel only, presumably due to the OpenGL requirements that most PowerPC compatible GPU cards could not offer. Since .wire is a proprietary Autodesk extension, I do not see anyway to open them on a PowerPC Mac based off my research. I would look into whether Alias allows you to export in an industry standard format. I found a list of alternatives to Blender here.

3. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Well that sucks but it makes sense. The sad thing is that I don't have a computer that is capable of even running it now in order to export the files to another format to be read or opened by another application. I guess I'll just have to wait until I have a more powerful machine again so that I can do that. Thanks though for everything!

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I would look through the Alias FAQ to see if it even supports exporting in a different format.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Some of my research indicates that 3D Studio Max will import .wire files. Unfortunately, 3DSMax to my knowledge did not have a PowerPC Mac version.

I have some old 3D apps buried somewhere (from 2002-2003). There was a major 3D app maker that had trials on their site at one point. I used these to get 3D effects in some of the ads I designed. I'll see later on tonight what I can find at home.

6. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

The most popular 3D programs during the PPC era were Amapi3D(version 3 & 5 were later freeware), Cinema 4D, LightWave 3D, Pixels 3D, Strata 3D and the short lived Maya Personal Edition. MacAddict ran a few "full version 3D" program packed CDs from OS 8.x to Jaguar before they discontinued it.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Strata 3D is the one I was thinking of!

8. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

Thanks to all of you and the funny thing is that I had no idea that Autodesk was making stuff compatible with Mac that went that far back! So now I have some options and there might even be a possibility where Maya is concerned because they have MAYA 2008 which is compatible with a PowerMac G5. Awesome. Now if I can just find a license to that I can get back into 3D modeling.

So thanks again!

9. Dannyshing27 macrumors regular

Dannyshing27

Have you tried the powerpc version of blender?

10. RedCroissant thread starter Suspended

I have that installed but I was hoping to be able to also import my wire files. Blender is really good but I have a quite a few designs stuck in the wire format that I wanted to revive.