PPC Mac's really hold up.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macgeek18, Oct 28, 2017.

1. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I have had this REV A iMac for over a decade and I probably haven't turned it on in 8 years. Its on it's way to bunnspecial next week and I'm just amazed it just turned on and is working flawlessly after 5 moves and constant storage.
    Got to love PowerPC.
    [​IMG]

2. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

I've got a couple of eMacs stashed in my storage unit. It's not climate controlled storage, so they're subject to the temperature extremes of Kansas: 100°F< in the summers and <0°F in the winters. I should make it a point to pull them out next spring and see how they've held up.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

eMacs are like roaches. I’m pretty sure they could withstand nuclear war (they had to withstand school children after all). Our local school dumped a bunch outside and a guy I know retrieved one after being outside for at least a week and being caught in the rain. It powered up and runs no problem.

4. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

Those warm CRTs also provide roaches with a cozy place to live! :confused:

5. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

Good to know!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2017 ---
    Haha. Actually very true. I briefly worked for a “Rent-to-Buy” place many years ago. We had to go repo a TV (CRT). It was infested.

6. benwild_33 macrumors regular

I've bought so many powermac g4s for parts now that have booted up first time and installed an OS no problem, the only thing I've had fail so far has been a dual 1.8 G5 that the power supply blew on and an mdd 1.42 with a dead power supply and the mdd worked once the power supply was replaced.

7. AL1630 macrumors 6502

AL1630

They are really solid. All my macs came from less than ideal environments, and they're running perfectly.

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My eMac is an absolute tank - years ago when I was working a fast food job and couldn't afford home internet, I would lug it up to the local McD's and use the free wi-fi :D I actually dropped it one time going up the stairs going up to my apartment - luckily, I was only three or four stairs up, but it tumbled to the bottom, and aside from a few scratches on the back, it still works great to this day. The CRT gives me some trouble every now and again, but it's a real trooper; in fact, this post is brought to you by none other ;) I know it's cliche, but truly: they just don't build Macs these days to the same quality standards. My MBP starts acting up if I look at it wrong :p

9. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

I take it you like to keep a low profile and go about unnoticed...;)

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

At least it was just an eMac. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

That might be the saddest story I've ever heard.

12. philgxxd macrumors regular

philgxxd

I don't see that yet where i live...I asked the other day if i can use an outlet to charge my phone at a restaurant at launch time because i felt bad about just stealing electricity even if its on the low end...BUT that large desktops have to hace an impact on the electricity bill for the owner of the coffeeshops.

13. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

:) I would't have believed it if I hadn't seen the pictures!

14. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

Except for my iBook G3 (which sadly died due to the graphics failure issue) and my G5 tower (which I might just part out and create a G5 jewelry box) all of my PPC's still hold up and quite well. They sure were workhorses back then, huh?

15. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

They are workhorses now. There's two G4s and a G5 at my work that are still doing the job.

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

We Brits can beat that. I give you an iMac on the train!

[​IMG]

17. bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

Well, the iMac 21" seems to be the cheapest up-to-date schlepptop to carry around ...
    (and I'm ashamed having felt uncomfortable carrying around my >4 pound 15"PB lately)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    There's more energy spoilt by the packaging and waist than is consumed by any customer ...

18. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I've been hauling around 2 15" Thinkpads, a 12" ThinkPad, and an iPad Pro recently. I need to go to a coffee shop setup all four and take a pic.

19. bunnspecial macrumors 604

bunnspecial

I've been on a train before when it went into emergency(low speed crossing impact). I'd hate to have an iMac tumble into my lap if the engineer(or driver to you) decided to dump the brakes esp. if the train was moving at a good clip.

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

One time an acquaintance was at the restaurant, and took a picture of me using it there without my knowing, and uploaded it to Facebook - pretty much the entire one-horse town I lived in at the time had seen it before it got around to me, and I was a bit of a local celebrity for some time. :D

21. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

Just this evening, I spent an hour making one good eMac out of two. My prized eMac is a last generation model with a factory superdrive and 160 GB hard drive. Last week, the CRT started flaking out... it would briefly shrink/go out of focus and then recover. Changing the resolution made no difference. So, I took another eMac I had (same gen, but lower spec and bad caps) and swapped all the good parts into one. I'm happy to report it survived the procedure.

Talking about Macs not being built like they used to, has anyone else attempted to replace a hard drive in a 14" iBook G4. It's definitely not a "user replaceable part."

22. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

This is one of the bigger reasons I don't have a fondness for iBooks.

23. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

I had no idea what I was in for. It sits on my desk next to me nearly completely disassembled. Only the logic board and optical drive reside in the frame. Being that it is the last gen iBook Apple made (1.42), I felt compelled to refurb it and use it to do some writing. Still waiting on parts to arrive. If I had the choice between it, or a PowerBook, I'd stick with the iBook simply because the exterior is much more durable. I can handle scratches much better than dents.

24. weckart macrumors 601

This is the UK, remember. The train would have to going at an unfeasible pelt for local conditions for impetus to have such a malign effect.

A few of us have done it in a 12" iBook where space was even more at a premium. Still only took me half the time of the PB 12" despite there being more screws to remove.

25. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

Those case snaps, though... I think it took me a solid half-hour to separate the bottom case and top case from the frame. Screws and clips everywhere. My anxiety was through the roof when it came time to unplug connections from the logic board. Those sockets seem like they'd be easily ripped off if one wasn't careful.