PPC musical chairs.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Jun 2, 2015.

1. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

My computers have become my main hobby, source of pleasure and a way to pass time.
    Early on in my retirement I was very active and had several other forms of enjoyment but here 20 years later the age related ailments have caught up so most of my time is spent at home playing computer.
    To the point, I've just set aside the MDD my last aquistion, and fired up the G5 quad once more, and boy what a difference. I just cannot believe how a system with 10 fans in it can run so quietly, especially compared to the MDD and its noisy power supply fans.
    So for now at least, the G5 will be the computer of the day until I get really bored again and then maybe I'll have to fire up my Cube and finish installing the SSD I picked up for it.

2. Dronecatcher macrumors 68020

Dronecatcher

If you run the processors on the "reduced" setting there's even less noise - I only switch to "highest" when I'm converting video...or if the room needs warming up a bit :) This is on my Dual, which is actually noisier than my Quad ever was!

3. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Computers with more fans I think would actually be quieter, or at least more pleasant to hear, than computers with less fans, because all the different noises is blended together whereas with few fans the noises stand out.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Obviously, you've never been around a G5 when it was started with the OPTN key held down.

5. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I was surprised how quiet my G5 dual is compared to MDD, especially since it was listed as having the fans run at full speed after 10 minutes.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Well that's with fans at full speed, but I mean at base speed.

7. gooser macrumors 6502a

jbarley, since you brought up the subject what all else have you been forced to give up on? and what all exactly do you do with your computers to help you pass the time?

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you are enjoying these machines then keep toying with them. I wouldn't mind being in retirement working on PowerPC Macs. Unfortunately, I am not sure a PowerPC Mac will still be running by the time I get to retirement, considering I am not even out of high school yet.

9. jbarley, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

jbarley thread starter macrumors 68040

jbarley

My most treasured pastime, Woodturning.
    Fishing, because I've become too unsteady on my feet for the rough terrain here on the west coast. Plus the arthritis in my hands totally rules out tying any form of knot in 4lb mono line.

As for the computers, I do as most PPC users do, try to make them the best they can be.
    Some I give to friends and relatives, others I donate to worthy causes.
    But for the most part I just tinker with the hardware, seeing what works best in different combinations.

10. gooser macrumors 6502a

so you make things. very good. i'm retired also.

11. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

3... 2... 1... We have liftoff...

12. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

That is so true!! My drive bay fan goes crazy when I use it (4000 RPM) and it sounds like a jet

13. archtopshop macrumors regular

Outstanding turning! Absolutely beautiful.

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 603

Anonymous Freak

I have a PC workstation whose BMC (like the SMC on a Mac) went flaky. It's a good 80 db when starting up.

And a few years ago, I worked on systems that, when you were updating the BMC, it ran the fans at full speed throughout the process - over 100 db. And it took about 10 minutes to update.

<presses 'Enter'> "Okay, time for my coffee break, sorry coworkers!"