PPC OS 10.3.9 to 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nathan8804, Nov 16, 2007.

1. nathan8804 macrumors newbie

Is there anyone that has upgraded there PPC running OS 10.3.9 to 10.5? If so what were your problems? I am specifically worried about mail. Did anyone loose there messages during the upgrade? How about bookmarks? Or any major files? Would you do it again or wait until all the bugs are worked out? My main reason for upgrade is to take advantage of time machine. Other than that I am happy with 10.3.9. Please let me know. Thank to all.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I haven't done it personally, but I'd seriously recommend backing everything up with the thought in mind that you may lose it all. An erase and install might be a cleaner solution, too.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is a big jump and a lot of files that have been sitting without an upgrade for a while. I would suggest a backup as well.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Mail received 2 major changes during that period of time so I would definitely back up your home folder.

5. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Archive and Install would probably be your best option, since it will be migrating quite a few files. An author who I know was using 10.2.4 with Office v.X... we used the archive and install option, and everything worked fine: even Mail.

The keychain update was a must, but everything worked fine with no major hitches (getting him away from Internet Explorer will be a tough one...)

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Archive Install only archives your system, it doesn't protect your home folder/documents.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It shouldn't touch your Home folder and documents, in theory.

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The upgrade process does touch your home folder. Applications like Mail needed to drastically change how they stored their data due to Spotlight.

The likelihood that your stuff would be lost is low but playing it safe never hurts.