Ppc quad g5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rantingrich, Aug 12, 2012.

1. rantingrich macrumors regular

I am using my old PPC QUAD g-5 running OS 10.5.8 while waiting for my new MAC PRO! It has a after market Quadro FX 4500 graphics card running 512 mb. Never have had any issue with it or heating up while using my ASUS 27 LCD.

MY New DELL 30 inch I plan to us with my new MACPRO came in 3 days ago and I am using it with this g5.

LAst night for no reason the machine looked up and there was a bunch of CODE across the screen. Well I shut it down and this morning i ran Tech Tools pro Smart check and the warning about internal TEMP slider was at like 25%

I do have TEMPERATURE MONITOR installed and running, and all seems well! BUT I have no idea what the upper limits as far as TEMP is concerned. Specially the graphics card

ANY CLUES:confused:

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Is the fan on the card spinning? Is the exhaust packed with dust or anything?

3. rantingrich thread starter macrumors regular

Cleaned

Well I cleaned it out good a couple of months ago and made sure everything was running fine!

What I would like to know is what are the TEMP SPECS for the certain areas I mean I GOT that temperature reading app but its mean nothing to me if I don't know what the upper limits are,

The hottest item in the memory controller at @ 145 f 63 c Graphic chip is at 120 f 49 c

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Processors

When a processor starts to die intermittently code pops up. Find and use ASD to check and put it through some paces. It will tax it a bit and recalibrate the fans for temps and pop codes and show what's going on.

6. drorpheus macrumors regular

rantingrich, your mem controller is pretty decent, figure my dual 2.7 u3 runs at like 158*F -175*F which is quite toasty, but the quad should draw more power so yours is actually pretty decent, I'm curious as to what your CPU core temps are. If you want to fiddle and see whats wrong you'll need ASD 2.6.3 for the quad Late2005 systems all the earlier versions of ASD won't work.

7. rantingrich thread starter macrumors regular

OkaY here ya go

First off this was the last series of QUAD g5s they made Quad 2.5 if memory serves! I clean it out every few months CPU CORE temps are #1 (A core 1 Diode 120 F) #2 (A core 2 Diode 125 F) , #3 (B core 1 Diode 120 F) #4 (B core 2 Diode 118 F)

Heres are the others
    Air tunnel 110 F
    Air Tunnel heat sink 106 F
    Graphics chip 140 F
    MLB Inlet NA
    MLB backside 115 F
    Mem COntroler Diode 145 F

I also have a small fan I got from WAL-MART! I have always had on the back on the machine right over the outlet that PULLS air throw the machine. the exhaust air is always warm for sure but never hot. Also When I take the cover off any time and watch the 2 main cooling fans barely are turning over and i have NEVER had them SPEED way up like I have heard some say about these models .

I might add that this has never happen and i run Tech Tools pro about once a week and all has reported passed...

ALSO this has never happened... BUT I was running a ASUS 27 inch Monitor for over a year then this week took it off and am now running a new DELL 3011 Monitor for a few days when this happened yesterday! :confused:

8. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Have you tried to remove your QFX4500 and dust it off? Whenever i clean my quad, (I have the same card btw) I make sure that the fins are in order. This is to make sure that I have better air flow.

Also try to move your display from one DVI socket to another.

9. rantingrich thread starter macrumors regular

OH YEA its clean.... Its hard as I dint want to take the SHROUD off the Video card to clean it but its clean.... its wierd

10. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

it could be a Video Card Issue the CPUs could be dying there is many factors try a smaller monitor maybe the video card cant handle a 30" monitor? did you try a different Video Card?

11. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Leo, fyi the QFX 4500 have 2 dual link dvi port, which could drive 2 30" apple cinema display.

12. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

yea but those are apple monitors this is a DELL

13. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Dual link DVI is Dual link DVI and to top it I believe both the Dell and the ACD panels com from the same manufacturer I believe.