ppi and And resolution- be real

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doba87, Oct 2, 2016.

1. doba87 macrumors newbie

now for real, one can tell the difference between 750p and 1080p on a phone ??
    I hate the size if the plus but affraid from the ppi of the normal 7, I have a reason for concern?

2. themarriedmommy macrumors newbie

You can tell.

3. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I could tell the difference between my wife's 6 and my 6s+. When we both got the 7 pluses she noticed the difference immediately.

Anecdotal, but IMO pretty clear to see.

4. VesselA macrumors regular

The pixelation is noticeable on the regular sized iPhone if you hold it really close to your eyes, within around 10 inches on text, but from a normal usage distance it is not noticeable and is actually very crisp and sharp. In my view the 4.7 is the perfect size for a mobile device so makes it worth it, although apple should have put a 1080p display in it this year. They probably didn't because it would have destroyed battery life on such a slim device.
    The 4.7 is usable in one hand for typing and yet big enough to be good for gaming, videos, web and if you stop holding it as close as your vision permits to see the screen is actually very good and sharp. Even holding it close around 10 inches range and it looks good. The pluses are sharper but the size is impractical, like putting a brick in your pocket and unusable with one hand.

So it is somewhat of a compromise, which it shouldn't be, but because the 4.7 is the ideal size I think it's better, even though it should have a sharper display. So long as you're not shoving the screen as close as possible to your eyes looking for pixels it still looks great.

5. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

On these sized screens 720p/750p to 1080p is probably the last transition that is Easily noticeable. Going higher has diminishing returns and only helps in the spec wars. I suppose one could make an argument it helps for vr too. But it is definitely noticeable to many from 720/50 to 1080.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Yes. There is significant difference. Side by side comparison will help with this.

7. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Yes, I can tell the difference and many can. The screen is definitely sharper on the 7 Plus vs my previous 6s when viewing text and photos. However, if size is your primary concern, definitely go for the regular 7.. you won't be missing much unless you get to compare the screens side by side

8. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Yes you can notice it, but only if you're holding the phone really close to your face. It's nothing like the transition to Retina from the iPhone 3GS, where the difference was night and day and you could never go back after seeing it. The lower resolution of the regular 7 wasn't even a factor when I decided to downsize from the 6S+ this year.

9. vdor macrumors member

vdor

I disagree, the size is perfect, and is my favorite size only below the 5/SE. I had an SE last and I upgraded because I missed the bigger display for media consumption and web browsing. I don't own an iPad, so if I'm not working on my MacBook Pro my iPhone is my only means for consumption. Treat the phone for what it is - a "phablet" - and it works out. FTR I can use it with one hand (combined with reachability) but even with the SE and the 6 I always prefer doing everything with two.

My favorite iPhone of all time is the 5 in black and slate, hence why I got the SE when it game out, upgrading from a 6. I had the 6 Plus before I switched carriers to T-Mobile and downsized to the 6. Right away, I could tell the difference in screen quality. The 6 still uses @2x assets just like the 5/SE because of the smaller display, and the difference with the Plus is substantial. If anything I think the 6 size is impractical because it's too in between, where it still isn't the best one handed usage and yet it's too small to have the best of the iPhone displays like the Plus.

Obviously, this is my opinion based off my experiences and tastes.

10. VesselA macrumors regular

Can you type one handed on the plus?
    I have quite small hands and I'm able to type one handed on the 4.7, partly thanks to a little clever palm rejection in the os. Now that there's about an hour per 10% battery on the 7, much closer to the pluses and optical image stabilisation I think the standard size is the better overall device. Most apps haven't been updated to take advantage of the plus size and its several years down the line, when they're not they look pretty terrible blown up to 5.5, whereas all the apps look good on the 4.7 and it's ideal for one handed use.

The 3.5 & 4 inch screens were probably the most comfortable for my hands, but I always felt cramped with any gaming or video. The 4.7 feels like the ideal size for games and one handed reachability.

11. vdor macrumors member

vdor

Yes, although I much prefer doing it all two handed as I mentioned above, even on a 5 or 6 size, as it's much more efficient. My hands are large for my height, but I can't quite palm an NBA basketball for example.

I agree about the cramped smaller screens, despite the great size for everything else, media and browsing was super cramped on the SE after having been spoiled by the 6 Plus in the past. And as far as apps go, I've yet to encounter any app not updated for the 5.5 display that I use. This was certainly true when the first Plus came out (6P), but there's no app I use that's not updated anymore.

12. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Yeah, you can tell the difference. The 7+ screen is beautiful

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you hate the size of the plus model then go for the regular 7.
    I like both the size and better screen on my 7 plus.

14. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

I can easily tell the difference, and then I look at a QHD screen and it makes the Plus screens look like the 750p screen :p

15. Sunny1990, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

1080p display + longer battery life Big reason for me to pick plus model over regular