PPL with new civic and Manual gearbox

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Jul 7, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

I'm looking into getting one of the new civics, but was wondering if the manual transmission was worth it. So those of you with one, how many RPM's are you pulling at highway speed? What sort of MPG are you getting. I've got a outback right now, and get 27MPG around town with the manual, but it's pulling around 3250rpm at 70 MPH. I've only driven manuals, but if the auto is better, i'll probably go with it.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

FYI, low RPM doesn't mean it's using less gas.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sometimes the auto gets better MPG, sometimes the manual.

The manual is good if you don't want to spend $750-1300 (or more) on the automatic or the package it requires.

There really isn't an automatic mileage penalty anymore, just the $ penalty and all the stuff they tend to package with it.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I just got an automatic civic. The reports I read said that the manual gets 1 mpg better city and the auto gets 2 mpg better highway. So if you're going for manual based on fuel economy, I don't think there's a reason to.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I drive a 2006 civic sedan with the manual. At highway speeds I'd say the motor is turning at around 3k. My highway mileage has been as low as 32 and as high as 38, with 35mpg being what I expect at 75mph. I do believe the auto is geared a little differently so it gets 2mpg better on the highway (on paper, at least).

I would say hands down get a manual in your situation. Sure, the automatic gets slightly better mileage (and I do mean slightly), but it costs $1200 more and isn't nearly as much fun to drive. And I don't know if you've test driven one, but the clutch is so easy in that car you can't not love it.

6. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

x2.

Get the manual, much more fun!!! :)

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed, although I have noticed that over the past few years, top gear ratio is kinda high on sedans... my 6 revs a bit higher than really seems necessary at highway speed. But it is absolutely a fair point that RPM doesn't dictate fuel consumption by itself any more than MHz dictates computer speed....

9. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone, i really want the manual, but limited stock might make me get an auto, lets just hope not! I was just uncomfortable with the subaru turning 3k+ at highway speed, where as my friends auto civic was about 2.5 on the motorway. So hopefully around march/april next year i'll be in one.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How long do you plan on keeping it? I understand going for a different color or seating fabric because it's readily available, but do you really want to be driving an automatic for two or three years?

I do have to say, though, being no big fan of the Civic franchise, the latest one looks tight.

11. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, i do plan on keeping this for a long time. It will technically be my first car, but not really my "first" car, and plan on keeping it for 5-10 years as a daily driver so i can get my life rolling. I think what i'll do is tell the guy to call me when the one i want is available, but like i said, i'm in no rush to get it yet.