Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I used to despise the touchbar..when I was looking for a replacement for a dying 2017 macbook pro (non touchbar) I bought a 2020 pro but returned it in favor of the air because I couldnt stand the touchbar. I decided to try the pro m1 this time after reading about better touch tool. I actually like having the touchbar now..fully customized with everything I want to see. Global gestures control volume, brightness, and kb backlight (one, two and three finger swipes anywhere on the touchbar). When using certain apps I can have it default to the app specific touchbar layout/function. Its quicker and easier than the dedicated keys ive been using for many years.
View attachment 1684210
I've heard about better touch tool. From what I've heard people love it.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It will “throttle“ and take a 10-15% hit. But this M1 is so fast it won’t be noticeable.
It depends on what you're doing. The MBA went from starting at 40 FPS on Fortnite to 30 FPS after it throttled. The MBP went from 42 FPS to 40 FPS. I would love to see extensive tests with different programs and games to see what the difference is.

I don't suspect many will buy a 13" MacBook for gaming though. I'm weird and a 13" MBP was my first gaming laptop but that was back in the day when you could get better than ? Intel graphics. Most people who buy a laptop use it for short bursty tasks where the MBA would be perfect for.

bloodbuzz_ohio

Cancelled
Dec 1, 2020
There are plenty of normal Intel based "gaming" laptops that I consider uncomfortable to game on under load, which makes zero sense given they are gaming oriented machines.. Asus M15 and Asus G14 namely are both hot at the keyboard and sides to make you wonder what the point was to begin with.

That being said, with the fan running on the MBP13 M1, it's considerably better than my experience with most gaming oriented laptops.. It's tolerable.. Would I still like it cooler to the touch? Yes of course.. but i'd consider this acceptable as is.
Trust me, I know what you mean. I tried a HP Omen 2020 with a Ryzen 7, 1660ti and 16GB of RAM for like 2 weeks before returning it. If I'm giving away stuff like portability, a small charger, a great battery life and an awesome OS (some of the plus of a MacBook) I'm expecting a phenomenal experience in terms of gaming and good cooling... was definitely not the case lol. Thing would BURN my fingertips.

Reactions: Diversion and Booji

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
What do you think about long term usage? My MacBook 2011 is dying and I can’t decide what MacBook to get. The air base (7gpu) with 16 gig of ram or the mbp base model with just 8... I just want to play indie games from now and then and so office and multimedia stuff.
what will last longer? My concerns with the air are that the spread heat might be bad for the battery and that it will heat also with smaller games...

I think both Air and Pro models will last exactly the same.. the difference is merely better sustained performance after temperatures normalize.. of which 90+% of folks will never push these machines to that limit. It should be great for Indie games even on the 7 core GPU version.. its been proven the 8 core version is roughly less than 12% faster anyways.

Reactions: smoking monkey

WildRaven

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2020
Tried the Air but the screen was too dark for me... couldn't really see things as well as my 2015 Air (non-Retina model) even with the brightness turned up.

After doing some research and getting some advice, I'm going to give the Pro a try and see if that works better for my needs. I did come across a video showing the difference in contrast and I'm hoping it's as much of a difference as I saw. I took a screenshot just in case.

_M1_ MacBook Air & Pro Unboxing & First Impressions _ Honeymoon Phase 6-25 screenshot.png

janklp

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2020
I'm also heavy in doubt. One part of me really wants the Air since it's less heavy and has the functional keys. The other part of me want sustained performance under heavy loads. I'm using the laptop mainly for regular office tasks (for which the Air will be perfect).

However, during winter time I'm using the virtual cycling software Zwift for 5-10 hours a week. During longer rides (multiple hours), the fan of my 2017 MBP machine (i5) gets very active. Therefore I'm in doubt whether the Air can sustain these longer loads.

Any ideas on that one from any of you guys? Thanks a lot!

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
I'm also heavy in doubt. One part of me really wants the Air since it's less heavy and has the functional keys. The other part of me want sustained performance under heavy loads. I'm using the laptop mainly for regular office tasks (for which the Air will be perfect).

However, during winter time I'm using the virtual cycling software Zwift for 5-10 hours a week. During longer rides (multiple hours), the fan of my 2017 MBP machine (i5) gets very active. Therefore I'm in doubt whether the Air can sustain these longer loads.

Any ideas on that one from any of you guys? Thanks a lot!
the weight difference is very minimal..I used to have to check to see which computer I was using when I had both a non touchbar 2017 macbook pro and a 2020 air. I went with the pro, the screen brightness and battery life were worth it for me.

Reactions: OdT22

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The Air might be simple enough to DIY, and without the worry of puncturing a Lithium battery and starting a fire.
Maybe just me, but at $120 for a battery (plus tools) vs $129 to have Apple perform the work and warranty the repair, I wouldn't bother with the DIY.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAPLGeek

hotdwag

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2016
Maybe just me, but at $120 for a battery (plus tools) vs $129 to have Apple perform the work and warranty the repair, I wouldn't bother with the DIY.

I've replaced batteries on 2012 MBP Retinas and other models with glued in parts. It's definitely doable but you have to be very careful and do run the risk of puncture. If it's out of warranty it's maybe worth it if you can get a deal on a battery, but I'm sure people have done so by attempting to use pliers and causing a cell rupture and possibly destroying the device.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
For many the Air is fine. I love the Touch Bar, brighter screen, FAN for when doing intensive tasks as I don't want throttling. Extra battery, Bigger charger. Not a huge fan of wedges.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I've replaced batteries on 2012 MBP Retinas and other models with glued in parts. It's definitely doable but you have to be very careful and do run the risk of puncture. If it's out of warranty it's maybe worth it if you can get a deal on a battery, but I'm sure people have done so by attempting to use pliers and causing a cell rupture and possibly destroying the device.
A lithium fire is no ordinary fire. You can't put it out with water, and the smoke is toxic.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
I went with the Pro, because it has all of the little extras.

The only thing I like about the Air is the tapered design, as I feel it would be more comfortable to type on.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
yep. A laptop-sized lithium battery is _not_ something I'd be looking to "get a deal on" :oops: ????☠️
Similar in energy to an equivalent volume of gasoline and much harder to extinguish. A situation I'd like to avoid, particularly inside my home.

Reactions: deeddawg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.