Practicality of using Mac Mini as MC and Desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stephanos180, Nov 25, 2008.

1. stephanos180 macrumors member

Obviously I'll wait to see what happens at MWSF, but I've got my heart set on a new Mac Mini and a 32" 780p HDTV. Though I don't doubt the Mac Mini's ability to satisfy my home entertainment needs, I need to know that I'll be able to read the text on the screen to use it as a desktop. How would this differ from using an Apple display? Thanks in advance.

2. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

It should work fine. Only difference is the pixel density is bad; 720p is essentially the same resolution as a 13" macbook. Blow that up to 32" and it might not be as sharp as you're hoping for.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Considering the year old specs of the Mini, I'd get a last generation refurbished MacBook and run it as a desktop.

4. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

The screen resolution is fine. The biggest issue will be in setting up your seating, keyboard, mouse, etc. so that you're comfortable surfing the web or typing a long document sitting in your couch.

But I second the suggestion to get a MacBook. The $850 refurb Macbook will give you more bang for the buck and do everything that the Mini can do.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Our local Mac reseller has a slightly older Mini with an older Viewsonic 32" 720p TV panel with the wireless keyboard and mouse with the EyeTV - it's pretty sweet...