Praise for Apple... Pretty cool story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowlege Bomb, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So I was walking around the West Towne Mall today with the girlfriend pretty much because we were bored and our air conditioner is from the 70's or earlier. We decided to stop in the Apple store and browse around to kill time since the people in the Sleep Number store told us to move along (I was watching YouTube and floating on the beds as they rose and fell). Once we got in there she started playing Enigmo on one of the display 3G's and I just kinda stood there talking with one of the geniuses and playing with my 1st gen. I went into my settings and turned my WiFi on (I never kept it on because I THOUGHT the WiFi at my house sucked. I joined the Apple Store network and as soon as I exited the settings menu the signal dropped... just like it was doing at my house.
    I brought it to his attention and he set me up with a Genius Bar appt. for 45 minutes later. When I got up there I told him that it had been doing it at home and I thought it was my Wifi connection. He tried connecting again and "Cannot connect to network" or something like that popped up. He asked if I had ever gotten that message and I told him it had happened there in the store and at home several times.
    So from there he had me sign a paper and got me a brand new 8 gig 1st gen. I asked if it was a refurb and he assured me it was brand new. Sure enough when he took it out of the white box it had the plastic cover wrapped around. Shweeeet.
    So basically getting out of the house and NOT spending any money at the mall netted me a brand new sexy 1st gen iPhone. Thanks :apple:!!

2. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

nice i am hoping to go down there within the next week to get my headphones replaced, stupid mic/next track button are glitchy. i am hoping i get new headphones for free.:rolleyes:

3. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

That's a great story. The Apple product lines hook us. But it is customer service like this that keeps us coming back.

4. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Agreed. I couldn't be more satisfied. And my hands are telling me this phone feels heavier/more solid than my last one. Not to mention the mute switch is much "clickier" as well as the home button and the volume rocker on the side. I'm pretty excited to say the least. I just finished upgrading to 2.0 and re-entering all of my info into 1password :rolleyes:.

Tomorrow before work I think I'm going to make an appointment to have my wireless mighty mouse looked at. Thing's been acting kooky lately; moving in slow motion and all jumpy and whatnot. Hopefully I'll have the same luck with that one. I don't want to take advantage of Apple's kindness but this problem is more annoying than my Wifi thing ever was. I'm using my old Logitech from my laptop for now. I actually don't mind it so much and it almost goes with the color scheme of my iMac (silver and black). It moves waaaaay too fast tho....

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

what's the first few digits of your new serial number? im pretty sure if theres a "k8" in there anywhere or something it's a refurb.

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

did you yell at him because it has no MMS, video camera, or copy/paste?!?!?!

:rolleyes:

7. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

This happened to my brother's iPod Touch. It could see wi-fi networks, but couldn't connect to them. He figured it was our wi-fi, but then tried it in the Apple store and it didn't work either. After a few months of beating it up and scratching the back like crazy, he asked the guy at the genius bar about it, and he immediately exchanged it for a new one. Great service :)

However...my iPod Classic 160GB has broken three times in eight months...I've gotten a free replacement iPod every time, but it is a bit ridiculous.

8. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Good for you bro. i just got my new 16g back from apple care. I have had very good experiences with apple customer service. this is my second replacement from them and both times they sent me a apple care service phone for FREE. Didn't charge me the 29 bucks or whatever it cost. I dont know if its brand new or a refurb but i dont care. It comes with a 90 day warranty of a warranty for the remainder of your original year you get when you purchase it. it does have a serial # that starts with 5k8 which some people think are all refurbs but i had an ex genius tell me that they were brand new that is just the numbers they put on all the phones that are provided for replacements like you and i received.

9. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

:eek:

There's a K8 in there. My girl's refurb doesn't have that tho... Why would he lie about it?

10. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Bingo. That makes more sense to me.

This guy was pretty excited that I bought my first one at the Tyson's Corner location. He was talking about how it was one of the first Apple stores to open (after the ones in CA).

11. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

im with you on that. if its not brand new then they must have put a brand new casing on it because mine is perfect and they must have reset the life timer because it was at zero when i got it.

12. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Yup. Same here. Although I will admit when I first went into the settings menu I thought I saw something flash in those fields before the zeros popped up. Hmmmmm............. like I care anyway. Still feels solid to me and the chrome bezel is PERFECT. I sure as sheet won't be putting any cases on to scratch that and the Apple logo up this time.

13. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Whats it matter of it's refurbed or not? Apple's refurbs are absolutely superb. And hey, it got your problem fixed, and you are apparently satisfied with that! :D

'Grats on the replacement, Apple Support is pretty awesome. :D

14. MattKanzler macrumors member

15. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

but isnt it nice having that new sleep wake button that sticks up all the way and having that new home button feel. im stoked either way.

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

LOL.

@ the OP, was there any discussion of your warranty period or a receipt? If not, consider yourself lucky. The genius wasn't really supposed to do that. Congrats.

17. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Well he asked me when I bought it so I guess he just took my word for it that I was still within my warranty period. Plus I was kinda distracting him with all the talk of my girlfriend's iPhone problems and my Mighty Mouse issues.

I think my biggest fear is something else coming up with this phone. I've been on MacRumors since February when I got my first one and I've read countless horror stories of all the things that can and have gone wrong with the first gen phones. I never had any problems with mine up until this and I didn't even know it was a problem...