Pram Batteries?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, May 23, 2014.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings MacRumors!

I have in my possesion 4 Power PC units.
    1.42Ghz Emac
    400Mhz Orange Imac
    233Mhz Powermacintosh G3 Beige
    and i could care less about the AIO performa 5200CD

Anyways. all these machines have dead Pram batteries. And over the years ive seen many different hacks and what not to use 2 AA batteries to get a battery. But is there still a battery that Duracell makes new that can work? Which model number would that be cause i cant find anything. Let me know Thanks.

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

Have you checked on macsales.com?

It looks like they have new batteries for some older models. I'm going to buy one whenever I get ready to open up my iMac G4.

3. tampasteve macrumors 6502

4. archtopshop macrumors regular

I've been buying mine from OWC (macsales.com) for many years. They work well, and the prices are good, especially if you are buying more than one, so as to spread out the shipping charge.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I buy my batteries from RadioShack. The last one I bought was 2 years ago for my G5 so things may of changed by then.

6. wts macrumors member

wts

The Mac PRAM batteries are usually the 3.6 volt lithium. They are readily available at Radio Shack in the US and at the Source in Canada.

Last week I purchase two at the Source ( in Canada ) for $20 each.

I have Performa 6360 that requires a 4.5 volt. These are somewhat hard to find and if you do they are horribly expensive. I fabricated one by using 3 AAA's bound together with electricians tape and interleaving them using small strips of copper wire to connect the positive/negative connections.

I seem to recall that RadioShack/theSource sell what I call a cage that does the exact same thing.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

I tried buying an odd battery for my car key fob. $6 at RS but no one working the counter.

Amazon had a 4 pack of Energizers for $.99.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I didn't say it was a good store. I try to avoid electronic shopping and rather go to a store. How much was shipping?

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

Oh. They were $.65 and $4.99 S&H. And they were a pack of 5.

10. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

I did that with a SuperMac C600, works great!

11. wts macrumors member

wts

Right on.

I also believe that these "homemade" fabricated batteries using double or triple A's last longer because when you buy the ready to go batteries who know how long they were on the shelf. Whereas the "homemade" are made using fresh justt purchased double/triple A's.

Last year I ordered a 3.6 lithium battery ( and in Canada it cost me nearly $30 ) and the one they mailed out was already corroding with all that white flaky stuff . They refused to give me my money back claiming how do they know it's not the battery I was replacing.

12. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Newer Technology's (owned and distributed by OWC) PRAM batteries are excellent. Unfortunately they've stopped making PRAM batteries for a few older Mac models recently, so if that's the case, you might need to go hunting on eBay.

13. wts macrumors member

wts

I sure would not purchase a battery on eBay especially when you can fabricate one yourself.