PRAM Battery Mod - 15" Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by garybUK, Jul 2, 2012.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Hi All,

I have a Powerbook A1106 my beast of a laptop, 1.5ghz PowerPC g4, 2gb RAM, 64mb ATI 9700 Graphics, 160gb HDD, Combo Drive.....

But if i leave it unplugged overnight it won't turn on, i have to remove the battery (which only lasts 3 minutes) and hold the power button down, then insert the plug (without the battery) and boot up, then insert the battery.... bit annoying!!!

I think it's the PRAM battery, i had a look when i was tightening the hinge screws and it's the PRAM board with the silver square battery... trying to find a replacement is like trying to find rocking horse *****.

Can the original board be modded to take x2 or x1 silver button batteries? I'm good with a soldering iron so don't mind that, or does anyone know of any dealers that sell these?

or will changing the main battery keep the thing alive when it's not plugged in?

Thanks!!

Gary.

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

I'd like to see this project happen, as my iBook recently started doing the exact same thing. However, it appears I've fixed it by entering open firmware and typing "reset-all" to clear the pram and nvram. Try that!

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If the PRAM battery is dead, the PowerBook should draw power from the main battery to keep the clock going. I too suggest a reset of the PMU.

Also, iBooks don't have PRAM batteries.