PRAM battery problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jasminerae, Jan 9, 2013.

1. jasminerae macrumors newbie

I have a 15" macbook pro (purchased late 2011) and recently lost my charger for it. I have a 13" charger from my boyfriends macbook, and have been using that instead, it still charges the computer fine just slower and if my computer is completely dead it takes a few moments for it to charge enough to boot up (never had this problem with old charger). Every couple of weeks my computer will die completely, this happens maybe once or twice a month and sometimes not at all. It takes about 5 minutes plugged in before it turns on then takes a very long time to actually boot up. Once it is booted up, my clock is reset to January, 1, 2000. After looking this up I'm finding issues on PRAM batteries going, but now I'm wondering if it has to do with my charger since it's only happened since I switched, any ideas?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Buy a new charger made for the 15", using the 13" charger once or a couple of times over a few years is not bad but do not use the charger continuously.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The 13" charger cannot provide enough power to charge the battery and run the computer at the same time.

The new MBP's don't have a PRAM battery - they use the non-removable battery to keep it alive. If this gets completely empty, you'll lose the time.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Only one thing is wrong here, they are not completely empty, Lithium ion batteries break when they go under a certain threshold, it is just to low for the MBP to operate safely, so it waits a bit.

But, yes, she should NOT go on like this and spend a bit of money on a new one.

5. jasminerae thread starter macrumors newbie

Ordering one online now, thanks for the help!