PRAM/Clock battery dying causes random shutdowns?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atszyman, Jan 13, 2009.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

OK, last week my old faithful PB G4 15" decided to do an instant, unprompted shutdown and reset my system clock to December 31, 1969. Everything came back after one niggling Safari issue and worked fine. Last night, it did the same thing to me again, this time I managed to avoid the Safari issue among other niggling things that happened due to the clock (hint: don't open any applications until you reset the clock).

My big question is: Can a failing PRAM/clock battery cause random shutdowns? or am I witnessing the slow end of my trusty G4 PowerBook?

It looks like a PRAM/Clock battery will run about $30, is it worth it to even try for my nearly 5 year old laptop? Or should I start looking to an upgrade?

I did zap the PRAM this morning and I've done some test shutdowns without the clock being reset, so it might not be the PRAM/clock battery at all, and it may not even happen again, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions so that I don't end up with a completely dead laptop in the near future without any planning for the replacement.

2. Steve Sirinides macrumors newbie

Exact same thing began happening to me around the same time, but I haven't found anyone with a similar problem until just now.

It only happens when mine is using the battery, it works fine when plugged into the wall. Did you ever find a fix? I reset my PMU, that didn't do it. I would be willing to buy and change the battery (either PMU or PB battery) if this would do it.

Anyone care to help out a guy and his trusty but aging Powerbook 15"?

3. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

As mentioned in the OP, I reset my PRAM and have not had any issues since then. Been almost three weeks and the two issues were only a week apart...

We'll see how the future holds, but hopefully I can keep my PB alive for another 6-24 months...

4. bthom70 macrumors member

Wow this is a coincidence, I have a simlar problem
    I looks like my battery is dead, wont charge.
    When I unplug the PB and plug it back in my system resets to 1969 too.
    I've tried every resest I can fine, PMU, PRAM etc all to no avail.

I'm on the verge of selling it as I jsut purchased a new unibody MBP.
    I now think I'll have to pony up for a new battery so I can sell the PB, as IMO I think it will sell better than one with a dead battery.

If this is a PRAM issue and needs repair, I'm screwed as Applecare ran out Oct 2008

grumble grumble.