Pranked by coworker

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by firebirdswm, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firebirdswm macrumors newbie

Didn't leave iPhone on long enough to read entire message, but was definitely a strange character, maybe two brackets side by side. Anyone else yet?

2. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

TURN OFF YOUR PHONE NOW! I'm serious. You're phone just got hacked.

3. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Yea turn on airplane mode, or just turn it off and call apple, the guy who just hacked your phone can see your exact location and whatever else your iPhone can do is available to him.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

5. firebirdswm thread starter macrumors newbie

I powered down immediately. Been reading the news about this thing over the past couple of days. I heard a hard reset can fix it. Any truth to that?

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

And this could also be a joke, since we were talking about this yesterday and some wanted to get a "box" to send to their "friends."

7. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Should everyone on AT&T turn their phone on airplane mode? I mean, how can they see your exact location even if you have Location Services turned off.

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It's a great shame that Apple have not issued a fix for this, since they were told about it a month ago.

When you get it, is there a way to tell if it's the real hack or if it's your friends playing a joke?

Since I read that the exploit sends itself on from your phone to other people in your contacts, I guess even knowing the source phone number does not help much.

9. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Because they can turn them back on if they get into your phone. I'm keeping mine on, but if I get that text then mines going off for the rest of the day.

10. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

It's my understanding that the virus allows the person to control your phone so - if true - they could just it on, I guess?

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'd turn off just to be safe and then call them from another number and ask them. If they sit there and lie about it saying they dont know what your talking about when they really did send it then get new friends.

12. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

I haven't gotten any texts yet. I just put my phone on airplane mode. Does anyone know around what time this is supposed to happen?

13. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

Don't be so paranoid. The info on how to do this isn't even out to the public yet. Or, is the OP just seeing how many replies they can generate.

14. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

15. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

IF it's going to happen, they have to get your number first.

16. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

The article I read said any time after noon today, so that could mean anything. Who knows if this thing is really going through or not. If it really was happening, I think more then 1 person would have posted on here saying that. I think the OP is just attention craved and thought it would be hilarious to say he got that text. Either that or a friend sent it to him as a joke. I don't think anything has hit yet or else much more people would be reporting it.

17. firebirdswm thread starter macrumors newbie

Just watching out for myself. Not a forum spammer at all.

18. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

You shouldn't have anything to worry about, at this early point.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Maybe it's AT&T testing MMS!!!!

kidding

20. Titan12 macrumors regular

This thread kinda freaked me out because today my phone started acting funny. It wouldnt ring, and the ipod would simply freeze up. A restart fixed the issue, but I've never experienced my phone do that before. Also, my battery appears to be draining MUCH faster today than it has since I've had it. The phone is not reporting usage times right now, so I guess I'll need to do a full recharge to clear that issue. :eek:

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I see nothing from the OP's posting history to suggest he'd be like that. It may have actually happened to him, but I think it's more likely he's just being funned with by a friend (or by some total screwball who's trying to be a nuisance).

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No. (It looks like you're talking about a phone that does get hacked, then the owner puts airplane mode on.)

How would the hacker send a signal to do anything if the phone is not connected to the internet? The phone would never get that instruction.

23. firebirdswm thread starter macrumors newbie

I totally agree that more people should be reporting this if it's really going on. I'm not here to bring attention to myself. Just wanted to know if anyone else had gotten it. It could very well be someone who knows I've got an iPhone messing with me.

24. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Some people here just have to have the newest thing, even if it's a virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.