Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kentuckienne

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
No>me<where
My 2012 Mini died last year. I had managed to pull most of the files off before the video output quit working. Last week while working on the files I realized I had made too many file copies (just in case, you know), with different names, and it was going to be a MESS combining them all back into a single archive. Not to mention my lightroom catalogs were totally indecipherable. I was in file duplicate hell.

Today I remembered that I had a couple of external drive enclosures and wondered if I could put the spinner from the dead Mini into one to check the files. I'm grateful for the impulse that made me hook the mini up to the monitor just in case. And I found the DisplayPort cable that is the only way I could connect the Mini to the LG monitor. After a bit of futzing and pushing of the power button, guess what! The Mini booted! I can see the files and the video output works fine! I am right now copying the file structure to a new folder and if it can make it through all 281 GB before the power goes out, I will be so happy. Did I mention that we are having big storms? And I was in such a hurry I plugged the mini's power into an outlet strip not attached to the UPS?

Oh, pray for me, fellow MacRumormongers, pray for my files and the copy process. May the power stay on, may the video keep working, may the file copy complete successfully. A new 2024 Mini M4 is surely coming soon for me.

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
If the power isn't reliable, I was going to suggest getting one of those portable batteries on Amazon... not the little power banks for phones, but the big ones for long trips and camping. 😅

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 11.56.41 AM.png

...but it sounds like you already started the process of moving files, so, uh... good luck!

Reactions: jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.