Pre 1994 music videos

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gonzo3333, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Gonzo3333, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

1995 is the norm, not 1994!!!!

I guess I am old and have no patience for what passes as music today. Please post a YouTube video of your favorite PRE 1995 performance!!

I guess I am too old to figure out how to make the video automatically show up.

:confused:

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very nice & interesting thread, and I thank you for starting it.

In common with your good self, I have no idea how to post a video link, but I do remember having been absolutely blown away by the video made by the excellent British group Ultravox when they released the terrific song 'Vienna' back in the early 1980s. This was a video which transformed the standard by which such things were conceived - it was spell binding and utterly brilliant.

3. jamesollor macrumors newbie

I don't know why but when I tried to view that video the page crash.. donnoo th ereason. But as per the thread I just want to say you can see this an dmay be it wil help you to know how to make the video that show automatically.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That song ( The Day The Music Died/American Pie ) was about Buddy Holly.

just a little fyi.

:)

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? I never would have known that. :rolleyes:

;)

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well considering the Jets are out of the play-offs one never knows !!

:p

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

wow.. a topic I could go on for ages on. First a bit of background.

Around 1990, music started to get a bit dark. Alternativ^W Post-Modern music was starting to come up, Metal went pop, pop went techno, and old school rap went House Party went New Jack Swing went hip-hop do wop. Gone were good 'classic' music videos.

While I love me some good metal, and you can always get people on the dance floor with Rob Base/DJ EZ Rock and Mama Said Knock You Out, I started to miss the older videos, and there was little chance you'd ever see them again.

Thank goodness for VH1 and running The History of Music Videos from A-Z and VH1 Video Rewind. From then, I started to fill up 8 hour tape after 8 hour tape of music videos; my only criteria was that they had to be made between 1980 (start of MTV) and 1989. Anything older wasn't making it.

First music video on it: Walk of Life by Dire Straits:

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I have a question...what constitutes a music video?

Are the performance films of the 50' and 60's music videos?

And what is more important... the music, or the stuff on the video.

I'm mean these questions seriously..no sarcasm is intended. I enjoy the music first, and any antics on the video a distant second. So, for me, the performance videos of the greats of the 50' and 60's rock are eminently worth watching.

But I really am interested in your responses to my questions above as I am certainly not a connoisseur of, or knowledgable at all about, music videos.:)

11. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

This is the video that really influenced me, both in life and in my art. Yes, I know it came out in 1994, so it's a very close call.

12. bradl, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Good questions all around. Performances in the 50s and 60s were more 'live'; like something you'd see on the Tonight Show/Conan/Arsenio, etc. They were live performances of one song, 2 if you were lucky; but not something made with the intent of being played in constant rotation. I wasn't alive then so I can't judge on the replay of it, but how many times was the same performance of, say, Bye Bye Love by the Everly Brothers, or Ooby Dooby by Roy Orbison constantly replayed?

That doesn't diminish the importance of the music or the performance; don't get me wrong. In fact, to the contrary; the rarity of different performances made finding them that more unique and soughtafter.

That's one of the reasons I chose that timeframe. At that time, not only was there a dedicated channel to music and music videos, but the music was still the forerunner in the bulk of the videos; I omitted everything that was still in constant rotation, because it was current, plus highlighted more of the performance in the video than the music in the video.

Now, don't get me wrong again; there's art in the video, especially in matching the concept of the video to the music, which you get some really wonderful pieces; Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House, Only The Lonely by the Motels, and Take on Me by A-ha are great examples of concept in the video. At that time you didn't just have someone or a band standing in one position and playing (common back in the 50s/60s), or choreographed group dancing (common and a dime a dozen now). There was the chance to add something original to the music.

Now, I admit that it took a hell of a lot more talent in the 50s and 60s to make music than it did anytime after 1980, but also keep in mind that in 1990, I was 16, and missing the music I heard 10 years prior, when I was 6!

So I guess that was it; highlight the concept in the clip along with the music, plus the the fact of those that were created when I was alive to see it. That basically made what I had. Finally, what truly was happening musically in my childhood up to that point. A lot of changes were happening, and to be honest, I was rather young at that time to want to relive those days as a child. I can see doing that in my 40s or 50s, but at 16 is unusual.

Good concept videos? here you go.

BL.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thank you so much for your interesting and informative response.:D

I was afraid my question might not be taken seriously, or seen as sarcasm...but you certainly captured the spirit of my question in your wonderful response.

Thanks again for your very helpful post...I certainly understand better your goals.:D

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Great video. I hesitate to call it a music video because that video was done in an impromptu way making it a true performance rather than a set that is edited and remixed etc..

One could argue that The Beatles were the first band to embrace the music video genre .

Like their last song played together as a band. On top of a roof.

It's art imho.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes I suppose one could argue it isn't a "music video," but I have to admit it works quite well as one. :)

16. Gonzo3333, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

Gonzo3333 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Thank you guys for posting some totally awesome stuff! I just found another I would like to share with everybody. Jethro Tull Locomotive Breath.

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

To embed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWubhw8SoBE

The code would look like this:

Attached Files:

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

YouTube: herbie hancock
    i'm clearly missing the magic trick that is embedding youtube videos

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Take all the characters after the = sign in the Youtube URL. Paste that inside of

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Unfortunately, when they "hit quote", to quote your post, the syntax of the youtube link is changed, so they won't see the original, correct syntax.

For those that missed my earlier post on the subject, the format should look like this:

Attached Files:

21. simsaladimbamba

Does this help then?

Code:
    [plain][media=youtube]_QBISF26Kd4[/media][/INDENT]

at this address: [plain]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QBISF26Kd4[/plain]

NOPARSE and CODE can be ignored though.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Did you link the video you intended? I see the Ramones not Herbie Hancock! :p