Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehimay

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Toronto, ON, CA
I'm at the point that I am finally needing to upgrade from my old 15" MBP (1,1), and will be jumping to a 13" MBP base model. I know Apple is currently running the promotion with the (up to) $199 MIR with an iPod purchase, but my trusty 160GB Classic is doing a marvelous job as is, so the iPod is relatively frivolous for me at the moment.

The question is whether or not there's a perk to buying now and just selling off an iPod brand new (aka bigger MBP discount), or if they run some different promotion after the current one lapses on the 7th that I might have an interest in. I'd scour my memory to recall if they do any other fall promotions (but it rarely remembers these sales, been nearly four years since I bought my last Mac), and searching has been fruitless (or I'm just using ill-formed queries). In any case, my purchase isn't terribly time-crucial (in the short term), but I'm certainly not waiting until Nov/Dec to pick one up. Does anyone recall if Apple traditionally does some other sort of promotion after the typical "rake in all the college students and give 'em free iPods to clean house" at the start of the school season?

Any thoughts? I would appreciate the feedback!

(if this is the wrong forum to be asking this, someone please feel free to flag it to be moved to the appropriate forum)

CTrav86

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
As far as I know, the free iPod deal is the only "deal" Apple gives all year (other than the free printer, which is also right now). When there's an update, there's always the possibility for a price drop... or a price increase. If you need it now, buy it now. That's what I'm about to do. I'm waiting til the 1st though, in hopes of a new iLife Suite (I've waited this long, why not wait a week more).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.