Pre-amps and microphones for recording vocals

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by marilyn400, Apr 30, 2012.

1. marilyn400 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

What mics and pre-amps do you use when you are recording vocals? I am going to update my gear (when I get the money to do that) and I could use some good tips! :)

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

budget? what do you use now? what's your room like? what style of music? any particular kind of mic and/or pre you're interested in? what's your engineering experience?

3. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I use a Blue Baby Bottle into a Focusrite. Works well for me.

4. Kenaudio macrumors member

Kenaudio

Gooood question....

...not easy to answer!

It really depends on the voices you like to record, on the microphones you have, on the style of music you want to produce on the character of the sound you want to achieve in general.
    I have been in the music production industry for ages and I am still overwhelmed by the gear one can buy. Last year I got myself an A-Designs Pacifica Stereo Preamp and two Avenson sto2 mics only or mainly for recording drum overheads. Of course you can use any preamp for any recording circumstance but they are sometimes real divas and don't allow a fantastic sound in any case.
    Maybe you should check out the GEARSLUTZ forums for expertise!!

Cheers,
    KA

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Maybe you could tell us what you have now and why you want to upgrade. What is it you don't like about your current setup.

6. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

I use a Neumann U-89 mic (I know, right?) into either a seventh circle audio API or Neve clone (A15 or N72, respectively) or a Demeter tube pre-amp. This is admittedly high-end gear and I must say it sounds pretty great, especially as tracks aggregate into a full mix.

Currently my MOTU 896HD audio interface is the weak link in my signal chain, so I'm looking to upgrade that to Apogee, Lynx or RME when I can scrounge $$$.

Front end (room, mics and pres) are, IMHO, the most important investment.

----------

That Pacifica preamp must be sweet!

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

My opinion on this is un-like most people's.

I think that unless you have a good studio type recording room you are best off equipping yourself as if you are a doing a location video shoot. Those guys have to deal with trucks running on the street behind them, wind noise or who knows what. Kind of the same problem most people have with trying to record at home. If you have bad reflections and outside noises a sensitive ribbon mic is not for you, no matter how nice it sounds in a studio.