Pre-Buying Advice Please

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by A N G E L, Sep 26, 2008.

1. A N G E L macrumors member

A N G E L

I'm gonna be buying an iPod touch 2G sometime soon, but I have a question.

I've read that you have to register/activate an iPod touch with iTunes 8 in order to actually use it. If this is true, would I need an internet connection?

I'm asking this because I just recently moved to Texas and I don't have internet at my home. I wouldn't want to buy an iPod touch and not be able to use it because I couldn't register it on my home computer.

But the other part I'm hoping for...
    Could I possibly activate/register the iPod touch at another computer AND THEN go to my home computer and start working with it there?

Thanks to those who reply. =]

2. seamustry macrumors member

You can choose to register later in iTunes.

3. jeremytehjerk macrumors newbie

ya, you can definitely get it up and running. only thing it might affect is app store functionality.
    (though i believe the features that have your computer connect to the app store are strictly optional and should not affect most apps, apps intended to sync using the internet or link over a home network would be the notable exception)

4. A N G E L thread starter macrumors member

A N G E L

Well, given that, if/when I do buy the iPod touch, I'll be using it while at my Aunt's house. She has a wireless router set up here, so is it possible to still sign in to my account and use those internet-only apps there?

5. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Do you already have itunes on your computer? Because if not then you're out of luck because the ipod does not come with itunes, you need to download it off the internet.

6. A N G E L thread starter macrumors member

A N G E L

Yeah, I have iTunes 8.0 installed on my computer.
    I downloaded it to a USB flash drive.

So, reading the replies, I'm guessing that I can just connect the iPod touch to my computer, click "Register Later" and go on with syncing stuff? =]