Pre-charging Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pancakeparty, Oct 15, 2011.

1. pancakeparty macrumors newbie

Hey, so you know when you get new electronics, it usually tells you to charge them for 2-4 hours before turning them on? Yeah.. I didn't do that with my iPhone 4s, opting to play with it out of the box. Will this adversely affect my battery life?

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No it won't hurt it, newer batteries are not like that.

3. iTundra macrumors member

iTundra

It's actually probably best to run it all the way down past 1% until the phone turns itself off and then charge for an hour or two past 100%, then repeat this cycle once. After this just charge every night and you s/b good (maybe repeat the deep charge cycle every 6 months or so.)

4. TM WAZZA, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'm no expert in battery life. I do know that iPhones have lithium-ion batteries and not nickel so it doesn't have a memory effect. A standard practice I adopted was every new iDevice I have I turn it on, run it all the way down. Charge to 100%. No problems

5. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Lithium ion batterys will increase in capacity slightly after the first few cycles, but what is often more important is to calibrate the sensing chip occasionally.

The batteries are no longer dumb storage items, and there are smart electronics that monitor the battery state of charge, measure current in and out and determine the "actual" charged % and thats passed on to the phone. These monitor the voltage, temperature etc, and without getting too involved there are certain features that determine the point where the battery is flat or fully charged. Running the battery flat "resets" that 0 point in the chip, and fully charging it resets the top. Doing it a few times initially will give a slight increase in battery capacity, but will give a much more accurate indication of the real state of charge for the battery and thats more important.