Pre-Christmas smashed iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gilkisson, Dec 23, 2008.

1. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

My son-in-law dropped his iPhone two days ago, on a rough parking lot surface. Screen spidered, cracked most horribly. It happens. He did not choose to have a case on it for aesthetic reasons, so, well, there ya go.

Calling Apple revealed the expected news that this type of thing is not covered under warranty. It's a 16GB 3G, so that'll be $299.00 to replace, thankyouveddymuch.

His Christmas stocking is already stuffed with iTunes cards, about $200 worth total. Instead of songs/games/apps, reckon he might be able to use these cards towards Phixing his iPhone? During the initial call to Apple, the otherwise-helpful Genius did not know for sure if this could be done.

Anyone else been down this road? :confused:

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It will be more than $299 to replace. That price was the subsidized price for signing a two-year contract. You'll have to pay the regular price, which is something like $500.

3. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Interesting spelling there :D

If it is an iTunes gift card, you can only use it for music, movies, shows, apps, etc from the iTunes store. I don't believe you can use an iTunes gift card for actual products from Apple stores.

4. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

That's what I feared as well. But the Genius was quite clear that the price to repair/replace was $299, the same as the initial subsidized price. Researching Apple's policies seemed to agree with this.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If that is the repair price, then that is probably correct. If you have to buy a new one, I'm pretty sure you pay the unsubsidized price. I've never done it, so I'm not 100% positive.

6. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Egad. Well, we can hope. If nothing else, he'll have to fork over the repair costs, then spend his toy money on his phixed phone. Apple gets the money twice. That's (do I dare go there) pretty Ph**ked up. (spelling intentional, vulgarity only implied...)

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

How is that [Ph**ked up]? Are you saying Apple shouldn't make him pay for the damages?

8. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

No, not at all. It's clear that a dropped phone is not covered under warranty. It just sucks if the iTunes cards cannot be used toward the repair thereof. Actually, I was just stretching the spelling "joke" a bit.

9. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It should be obvious that the iTunes gift cards are only used for iTunes purchases. Now, if they were Apple gift cards, they could be used for the iPhone.

11. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

It's not obvious. That's why I was hoping to ask the advice of the forum, see if anyone else has been here. Not start a fight.

And iTunes *is* Apple, after all.

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

http://store.apple.com/us/help/gifting

I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just stating that it says what the gift card can be used for on their website.

13. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

And thank you for that. I saw that as well, but was still hoping that a product <> a service. Oh well. Good news from the whole story is, he and I are both getting silicone cases for our phones. I'll use mine, and I bet he will use his as well.

14. jalpert macrumors 6502

I don't use a case either, but I do have this:

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone-landing1

Current Codes
    FIFTYOFF - 50% discount for any non-eBay item. Existing customer (after 1st purchase) only.
    SUMMER50 - 50% discount for retail purchases. Existing customer (after 1st purchase) only. Expires 12/31/08
    FIFTY50 - 50% discount up to $50 value of warranty.**Non eBay Items Only**
    FALL50 - 50% discount for any non-eBay item. Existing customer (after 1st purchase) only. Expires 12/31/08
    HOLIDAYMAIL - 35% discount (max $50) for first 10000 customers. 20% thereafter. Good on ALL items. Code Starts 11/28/08 Expires 1/06/09
    WARRANTYSANTA - 35% discount (max $50) for first 10000 customers. 20% thereafter. Good on ALL items. Code Starts 11/28/08 Expires 1/06/09
    SECRETSANTA - 30% discount on any warranty purchase. Existing customer (after 1st purchase) only. Expires 12/25/08
    ANOTHERONE - 30% discount.
    CSTHANKU - 20% discount.
    DQJE982 - 20% discount.
    FLYER20 - 20% discount.
    TWTYOFF - 20% discount for any non-eBay item.
    TWENTYOFF - 20% discount for any store-bought electronic or appliance. Expires 12/31/08
    FALL20 - 20% discount for any non-eBay item. Existing customer (after 1st purchase) only. Expires 12/31/08
    SUMMER20 - 20% discount. Expires 12/31/08
    TENFTEN - 10% discount.
    ALWAYS10OFF - 10% discount. Expires 12/31/08
    FLYER10 - 10% discount. Expires 12/31/08

OCT20USD - $20 off any warranty over $250 for first 1000 customers only.
    OCT25FIX - 3 year warranty for any new, store-bought item up to $400 for just $25! First 1000 Customers only. (not valid for eBay purchases or warranties with Accidental Damage.)

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Is the smashed iPhone still functional? Even with a cracked screen, some still are--as long as you don't cut yourself. But if the glass is literally falling off in chunks that will not be the case.

The reason I ask is if he can wait, there is a possible update on the horizon at Macworld in January. If you're going to spend the money to replace/repair it might as well be for an upgraded model.

16. gilkisson thread starter macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Actually, yes it is still running. He did have a screen-protector film on it, so that may have helped in some way. He can still call, play games, type emails, etc. It's just hideously ugly now.

Thanks for the reminder about the maybe-update at MW:). Who knows, we have to wait to see.

17. FireEater macrumors member

You would be surprised at the tutorials out there to fix anything. Here is a youtube link to replace the screen.

CLICKITY

Willing to bet you can find a broken iPhone cheap on eBay that you can scavenge the screen from.

FE

18. JackMaurer macrumors member

JackMaurer