Pre Click on White MB Button

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mynameisraj, Dec 21, 2008.

1. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

I am having a very annoying and weird cosmetic issue.

After using my macbook for some time, as I use the trackpad button it makes two click noises - it's not just one smooth click.

I was wondering if this was normal or not - It's odd because it only happens after I use the computer for a period of time - maybe the metal heats up and is hitting something? I've been careful so I'm 100% positive there isn't anything under my button… the computer is under warranty so taking it in is an option, but I'm not sure if it will click or not when I bring it there - it's an on-and-off kind of thing.

Anybody else have this problem? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

there should be a click for button down and a click for button up... that's normal of any button. Do you mean there are two sounds simultaneously?

3. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, I wasn't being clear enough. When I click it down I get two clicks, then when I release another.

So yes, two clicking sounds simultaneously - one thats normal, and one that sounds odd and feels kind of weird as well.

4. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

i highly doubt it's serious in any way... it's probably the material underneath the button flexing. Bring it to an apple store if it really bothers you... personally, I would probably just ignore it... but, that's just me :p

5. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

If I were you I'd ignore it and activate tap to click.

6. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

is it kind of a squeaking noise? And if you just tap the button without actually clicking it can you hear it?? Because I think i have the same problem, however it is only at times do i hear this noise

7. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes to both - it's a high pitched squeaking noise that I only hear sometimes when I click the button - particularly in the middle. I can tap the button and still hear it.

8. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

hmmm then yeah it is something im guessing to do with the plastic itself rather than something underneath the button. I have this problem every once in awhile though it is annoying, I don't see it affecting the performance of the machine. Maybe someone else will have some type of "fix-it" hints???

9. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I reiterate.

10. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't affect the performance of the machine but sure does affect the performance of the user :D

11. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

:p brilliant :p

Take your battery out and see if you can reproduce the sound from the underside of the machine. Really, why do a quick fix when Apple will fix it for you under warranty?

12. mynameisraj thread starter macrumors 6502

Called AppleCare about a different issue with the topcase and they are replacing it - finally I can get rid of the pre click monster