Pre Gen MBP vs Late 2008 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Buzz Law, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Buzz Law macrumors newbie

I found many similar threads to this, but I was looking for a more specific answer.

I am just making the transition from a PC user to a Mac. I plan to pick up a MBP tomorrow and I'm wondering which I should go with. (I will be getting the basic option of whichever model I choose) Heres a briefing regarding what I'm looking for:

I will be using the computer for applications like PS, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Final Cut Pro and Pro Tools recording program.

On the cosmetic side of things: I'm not a fan of the glossy screen, although I was told about matte overlays releasing in the future? However, the last gen MBP appeared outdated as soon as the new body released. The cost isn't too big of an issue - although if the prime difference between these two machines is merely cosmetics, I'd rather save myself the $450 and go with the pre-gen. Finally, I'm reading about all types of faults with the new releases, specifically regarding the GPU. Are these rare cases?

With that said, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan to officially make my conversion tomorrow.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Wait, what?

The Pre Gen / Early 2008 MBP's were aluminum. The only difference is that the Late gen ones are unibody.

3. Buzz Law thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my fault. I thought they called the 'late 2008' MBPs 'aluminum'. I didn't know the last gens were as well.

That obviously just throws the thread off. Thanks for the clearification.

EDIT: Title fixed.

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

If you're worried about faulty GPUs on the new model I suggest you do a little search on the old one and the 8600. I think you may have the 2 mixed up.