Pre install advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac2thefuture, Dec 29, 2007.

1. mac2thefuture macrumors 65816

I have an Imac 24" 2cd running OS 10.4.?.......
    I have parallel and boot camp with a partitipned HD and wondered how an install of Leopard would configure with the above. Also, do photos, music and films etc intergrate seemlessly without any special pre care?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you do an upgrade parallels and your docs, settings, itunes & iphoto libraries etc will be fine. but with an upgrade theres always the chance that leopard wont be very stable. so you could try an archive and install which creates a new system and imports all your files. your files will be fine but i dont think parallels will be. just reinstall parallels and use your windows virtual machine that you used in tiger which is in your documents folder. if you do an erase and install all your data will be erased and a new install is done. to import your files you need to backup all your files which can be hard. most people clone their tiger system to a external drive and import all their files into a fresh leopard system. some people have seen this as the most stable. i honestly didnt notice a difference between an upgrade and an erase and install (didnt do an archive and install).

boot camp is installed on a different partition so it will be perfectly fine.

3. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i edited it a little make sure you read the archive and install bit again ;) you may have to reinstall parallels after an A&I.

5. mac2thefuture thread starter macrumors 65816

;)