Pre-Installation Advisory - "Locked" Into Testing Mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Project-79, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

What exactly do they mean by testing mode? What are you limited to when you get the 3.0 beta?

Thanks!

Pro-79

2. The General macrumors 601

It means you're screwed. That's what happens when you download iPhone beta firmwares if you aren't a developer. It's been like this since before 2.0.

3. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

But what does it limit it too? Oh, and how does it screw me?

Thanks!

Pro-79

4. afornander macrumors 6502

it means that you can not restore back to any previous version... if u didnt pay the $99, dont do it

5. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

I did. But, they make it sound like you can't do anything outside of development purposes. Is this true? Also, will I be able to sync the phone after?

Thanks again!

Pro-79

6. afornander macrumors 6502

yes, as long as you have done everything by the book you will be fine, no worries :)

7. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

Yes, as in it's only for development purposes only, or yes as in everything should work just fine (just the same as 2.2.1)?

Thanks!

Pro-79

8. odyssey924 macrumors regular

I'm a registered developer and I just finished installing 3.0 on my lone iPhone 3G. Everything is working as normal so far including iTunes syncing. Now whether all my downloaded apps still run without crashing, that is TBD.

Heads up, MMS doesn't work as of now. The interface is there, but you cannot send any pictures.

9. amorya macrumors 6502

It says "permanently locked into testing mode", which scares me. My iPhone is my development device but also my main phone, so I don't want to take any risks.

I recall the 2.0 beta had a similar warning. Anyone know if it was possible to upgrade a 2.0 beta phone to use 2.0 final when it was released? In other words, if I install the 3.0 beta, am I likely to be able to install the final version (and go back to non-beta OS) when it's out?

I am a registered developer, so that's not an issue. I would post this on Apple's dev forums, but they're down now.

Amorya