Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I am pre-ordering the 500gb 7200RPM seagate drive from a website I saw on this forum, and plan to install it on my new 17" unibody MBP.

I ordered iWork '09 pre-installed on the MBP. I heard I have to re-install the Mac OSX CD once I change the hard drive. So my question is, will i lose the new iWork '09 I paid to have pre-installed for $49.99? Or will they include a iWork '09 CD with serial number in the package?

I have the same question for iLife '09 which comes pre-installed for free in the new 17" MBP?

Thanks!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm sure iWork come on a disk w/ serial number; it would have to.

iLife '09 will come on the system disks (or, it may be a separate disk included in the box, depending on when it was manufactured).

nicfargo

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
Nebraska
why wouldn't you just use Carbon Clone Copy, or something like that? Make's an exact copy of your HDD...so you wouldn't have to reinstall anything.

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
How do I do that? Don't you need a hard drive to save that?

why wouldn't you just use Carbon Clone Copy, or something like that? Make's an exact copy of your HDD...so you wouldn't have to reinstall anything.

Mercellus

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
You've got two options, use a tool such as Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!, Time Machine, or even Disk Utility to create a back-up of the stock drive.

Or, you can install iWork '09 once you swap the drive and install Mac OS X and iLife '09 on it (Mac OS X will be on the system software disc (which is DVD 1), and iLife '09 will be on the applications disc (DVD 2), these can be found in the package that ships with your MacBook Pro inside of a little folder labelled "Everything else" along with the users guide labelled "Everything Mac".

Apple provides the iWork '09 installation disc and serial number in case you ever need to re-install it.

iphonematt

Jul 10, 2007
I'm sure iWork come on a disk w/ serial number; it would have to.

iLife '09 will come on the system disks (or, it may be a separate disk included in the box, depending on when it was manufactured).

iWork '09 will come with it (it did when i ordered iWork '08 with my MBP) but there is no serial with iWork '09. I just picked it up from my Apple store and there was no key which surprised me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.