Pre-installed keyboard leave millions of Samsung smartphones vulnerable

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by JamesMike, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...lready-fixed-probably-nothing-to-worry-about/

2. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I'll see that exploit and raise you this one.
    The exploits were reported to Apple in Oct of 2014 and yet to be patched

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ps-to-steal-passwords-and-other-data.1893028/

3. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Certainly scary looking scenario but how does this in any way have anything to do with the OP Jamezr? Neither the OP, the thread title, nor the linked article make any mention of Apple, OS X, or iOS.

I'm sorry but it's posts like these that tend to immediately start bickering flame wars.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah agreed not every thread here has to be turned into a v's thread.

However with that being said - this 'scare' sounds like making mountains out of molehills ...

6. jamezr, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015

jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

It has everything to do with the OP. He never posts here in this section. It seems like another one of those Apple fan wants to post something negative in the Alternative section and do a "hit and run". They typical post something negative about Android or Samsung specifically to stir up Android fans and then desert the thread they created in the first place.

7. lazard macrumors 65816

yes...vulnerable if you are on an unsecured wireless network and downloading a language pack for your samsung keyboard. not sure why this is in the iphone section.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Jamezr, I think your run-ins with I7guy have you a bit paranoid---not everyone has an agenda. Go look at his post history---he posts all over these forums, actually does very little in the traditional Apple software and hardware forums and not a hint of some sort of axe to grind. And this thread is started exactly where it should be--in the Alternatives subforum.

9. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Maybe! :) I am also here a lot and recognize the participants for the most part. I don't think I have ever seen him participate in a discussion in the section.

10. ABC5S, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015

ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

It's not from Fox. This time its from a guest on the show. Its on some other networks as well. I like FOX business news. FOX is rated at the top or near the top for a number of years.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/17/technology/samsung-galaxy-hack/

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-hackers-easily-snoop-on-phones-10325574.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/samsung-working-fix-galaxy-security-vulnerability/story?id=31865272

11. I7guy macrumors G5

No matter what, this is a bad day for security but I'm waiting to see the real impact....not the theoretical impact.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

You do know you can decline to answer and ignore those posts that you believe the poster is doing a "hit and run".

13. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

No did not know that! Thank you for pointing out that to me. Geesh..... You would think an very obvious solution like that would have crossed my mind. /s

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Your welcome. /s

15. roland.g, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015

roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

For the same reason that every Samsung commercial seems to be discussing iPhones.

16. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The guy is talking like he thinks they installed a physical keyboard at the factory.

And the women "There's not a lot we have information on". Really, then why are you speaking?

17. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Only the clueless seem to be making a big fuss about this. If you're on carrier data or private WIFI which cover most of the use it's a non-issue. If you're on public WIFI you should be using VPN because you're vulnerable to MITM regardless of swiftkey. Unlike Apple's Fappening that actually happened this is theoretical with very low exposure.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    If someone wants to discuss the merits of Fox News please take it to the PRSI forum. I've removed a large number of posts that have nothing to do with with topic. Please stay on topic

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He hangs out quite a bit in community and seems to be a good dude. I believe he's also older i.e. in his 60's so I don't think it's hit and run. Second if he is/was what his avi indicates then he really isn't into hit and run stuff. I read is as a FYSA type thing

20. grkm3 macrumors 6502a

Then why not stick around and discuss the issue? Seems like he's spot on and was a hit and run thread to diss Samsung and bounce.

Not one post after first grand slam opening.

I'll try and not use a local open network and install a Chinese language pack though thanks for the heads up.

I have better odds winning the powerball then getting my phone hacked by this

21. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

It was not a hit and run. I love my Samsung Galaxy S5. It was just to inform people of the situation.

22. HiDEF, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015

HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF