Pre-installed ram compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by crayz, Apr 28, 2008.

1. crayz macrumors newbie

Hi i have done some search but have not found a definitive answer to my question.

I have just ordered a macpro with 2gb of ram(2x1gb). will the ram already in the system work with another set of 2x1gb? or will i need to replace the with 2x2gbs ?

Thank you for your time.

Craig.

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

As long as the RAM is compatible for the MacPro i don't see why it wouldn't work. But not totally sure.

3. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

It will work no problem as long as its compatible 800mhz RAM and you install it in matched pairs should be fine ;) but confirm it is compatible before buying.

good luck with the new MP :D

4. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

I have 2x 1GB original + 2x 1GB Kingston RAM in my Mac Pro and it works perfectly.
    As long you are using the right type of Ram and add two Dimms of equal size at once (matched pairs), everything is going to be fine.

5. crayz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys . thank you . i will be purchasing the ram from OWC or overclockers.co.uk they both have sections for macpro ram so it will be the 100% right type.

i should have it in the next 14 days.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck running vista and osx on individual monitors ? using Parallels ? should this not be a problem?

6. iGrant macrumors 6502a

iGrant

I did that with my MacBook, I ran OS X on my laptop LCD and Windows on my 15inch Monitor. I did that for my Senior year in college because the majority of my programming classes required Windows . . .

-iGrant

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

You still have to make sure you buy the 800 mhz ram.