Pre-installed Software and restore from Backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Berti10, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Berti10 macrumors regular

Berti10

Hi everyone!

I recently ordered my new iMac as an upgrade to my old Late '09 MacBook Pro. To save my Mails and installed Programs, I want setup my new iMac with a TimeMachine-Backup from my MBP. But I ordered some new preinstalled Software with my iMac, like Pages and Keynote. Will it be replaced by my old iWork 09? I think, Apple won't send my a CD of iWork 11 with my iMac, like they did with my old MBP, and out of the Box the iMac won't know my Apple ID.

So, does anybody have any experience with that? :confused:

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, iWork 09 is the current version.

In general, I've never had Time Machine overwrite a newer version of an app with a older one.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If memory serves me, when TM goes to restore and there's something already there, you will be prompted.

4. Berti10 thread starter macrumors regular

Berti10

Thanks a lot!

@aristobrat: Everytime I open a Pages Dokument on iPad or iPhone, I created on my Mac, it tells me, that there might be problems, because I'm using a older version of Pages.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

That's weird. Do you have no updates available in Software Update?

Either way, you should be fine. Apple will not ship a DVD with OS X, iLife, or iWork to you with your new iMac. When you log into the App Store for the first time from your new iMac, click on the "Purchases" tab. It should show you the iLife applications, plus the other apps that you purchased with your iMac. It will ask you to "Accept" them, which ties your ownership of them to your Apple ID. You'll be able to type in your Apple ID, if you haven't already, so no worries about the iMac not knowing your Apple ID right out of the box.

In the future, you will be able to install/reinstall these apps to any Mac that you manage. So while I'm pretty confident Time Machine will not overwrite the newer version of these apps, if it does, you can delete them and just redownload them for free from the App Store (after you've Accepted them). :)

6. Berti10 thread starter macrumors regular

Berti10

@aristobrat

On Saturday I got my iMac and everything worked out well. from now on, I can update Pages via AppStore. So I Think, that this is Pages '11. I might remember, they showed it in January '11, at the "Back-to-Mac" Keynote

7. aristobrat macrumors G4