Pre-Intel iMac G5 Late 2005 Build

Discussion in 'iMac' started by exthree, Sep 18, 2011.

1. exthree macrumors newbie

Any suggestions for my slow running iMac? Any hurried-up browsing or multitasking gives the dreaded beachball for minutes on end. I tried the HDD diagnosis and permissions fix, but nothing changed or improved. Recently, if we rebooted the iMac a small earth globe appears in the center of the screen for about 2 minutes, followed by the Mac happy face for another two minutes. Very frustrating! Am I wasting my time or is there more I could be doing to salvage this iMac? We've begun to move important documents and photos in case disaster strikes!

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

An upgrade to the RAM likely wouldn't hurt as a start. On a build that old though, it might be best to just upgrade rather than try and keep it running. It's understandable to want to keep and old mac going rather than spending the money to buy a new one but with the pre-intel macs upgrading the OS and most of the hardware is impossible or expensive.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The computer is going on six years old. It was probably a great machine for the use and the Internet of the day, but as demands grow, hardware doesn't. Probably time for an upgrade.