Pre-Jailbreaking Steps?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by akkkmed, Feb 28, 2011.

1. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Hi everyone. I'm ready to jailbreak my iPhone 4 (on Verizon). I know how, so it will be easy.

I need help with backing up my SMS data before I jailbreak. I want to be able to restore the messages back to the phone after it's jailbroken. Is there an easy way to do this? (and free)

Also, I know "backing up" in iTunes will save settings, but this obviously won't work when jailbreaking. Is there also a way to back up my settings? This is less important than the first question, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks for the help!

2. himni macrumors regular

Syncing with iTunes will backup you SMS data even after jailbreaking.

All you need to do is sync your iP4 with itunes and make sure it backups. Then DL greenpois0n and jailbreak.

3. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

But if I Backup, then jailbreak, then Restore, won't it unjailbreak it...?

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

No

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

What are you talking about?? Restoring kills the jailbreak.

To the OP, with the current jailbreak, you don't lose your existing data when you jailbreak. It's just a good idea to backup before you jailbreak so if something goes wrong, you can restore your data.

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I interpret the TS as if he meant restoring his backup on to the newly JBed iPhone.

7. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait, wait, wait... I'm confused now.

If I use GreenPoison to JB, it will NOT restore/wipe/erase my iPhone? If so, then I thought putting iOS into DFU mode FORCES you to have to restore using iTunes?

I'm obviously still confused. Please help :confused:

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

You can use GP on your phone as it is. You just should make sure to back up via itunes in the event you want to restore in the future. There is no restore necessary to run GP. Other options require restoring the phone, GP does not.

9. himni macrumors regular

GreenPois0n puts your phone into DFU mode so that it can execute its exploit. After you run GP it will return you to your springboard.

I recommended that you backup before hand just in case something goes wrong and you have to restore. Like the others have said restoring after you run GP will remove your JailBreak.

10. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. It worked perfectly yesterday. Thank you to all that helped.

11. Xhita macrumors member

welcome to the revolution!!!! :d

12. akkkmed thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, why thank you :D
    I was into all the JB stuff when I first got my iPod Touch 1G. But it was so slow and laggy, I stopped using JB after a year. But so far, it's been great with the iPhone 4's speed!