Pre-Media Event: Eddy Cue or Not Based on Unnamed Reliable Sources AW Reveal

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cleirac, Mar 6, 2015.

1. cleirac, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015

cleirac macrumors 6502

We got a little info or hints on what we are going to expect during Tim Cook's European tour. But here's a surprising EC detailed revelation related to one of iPhone's newest greatest assets / weapons being copied by rivals that could be use with just the AW - why it is even more important than ever to have it now among other reasons (I rather talk & look at it discreetly, take a glance than whip out my iP6+ all the time) - especially for Gen 1 beta tester :D aka gadget and Apple lover like me.

http://mashable.com/2015/03/06/apple-pay-apple-watch-explanation/#:eyJzIjoidCIsImkiOiJfcGxmajcwc2hwaGU5ZnAxOSJ9

http://www.cnet.com/news/heres-how-apple-pay-works-with-apple-watch/

You will have my attention on similar advance reports / detailed revelations like this.

I will no longer bother reading the onslaught of click & baits meme / blogs / articles "based on unnamed reliable sources" from any tech sites. Not something I enjoy or need anymore to be even more excited on something that will change my life again forever. :)

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I believe this is all information that was included in the September Apple watch announcement.

3. cleirac thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, maybe but this was a much more detailed and clearer explanation on how Apple Pay will work with an AW and really EC himself speaking during an NBA game a few hours ago.

4. cleirac thread starter macrumors 6502

I am very surprised that MR community especially, I am looking at you, Piggie ;) is relatively quite or mum on this very interesting or compelling Jony Ive revelation,
    http://howtospendit.ft.com/technology/77791-the-man-behind-the-apple-watch , instead many of his critics are focus on attacking him, unlike having a reasonable discussions, like here,
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/03/is-apples-real-watch-innovation-a-gold-case-thats-as-tough-as-steel/

I could see Rogifan is part of that community too. ;)

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

If P.T. Barnum were alive today, he'd be working at Apple.

As usual, Ive is just repeating common metallurgical knowledge as if it's something magical or unique.

We've already spoken about how 18kt gold is usually twice as strong as 24kt gold, because it's an alloy. Nothing magical there. And if you burnish it, or do any other kind of common work hardening, yes the molecules get closer and the metal gets harder.

Likewise, with the steel. Cold forging here probably means it's being stamped out like a coin. It's not uncommon at all for a forged piece to be 40+% stronger than a piece that's simply cut.

This is all stuff that jewelers and blacksmiths have been doing for thousands of years.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed yes. Apple goes out of it's way to use words, phrases and descriptions in an attempt to baffle the common customer, who just sits there with wide eyes and mouth, going, WOW it's a new type of Gold invented by Apple. Oh, My, God!

Likewise the rubber/plastic strap.

If any other company made it, just how many time do you think anyone could be arsed to keep typing "Fluoroelastomer" in a attempt to again give anything the public it must be special, look at this long word feeling. :D

Fluoroelastomers were developed in the 1940s and 1950s after the discovery at E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company (now DuPont Company) of the heat-resistant resin polytetrafluoroethylene, subsequently sold under the trademark Teflon.

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure Apple has been saying that their 18K gold is twice as hard as regular 18K gold, not twice as hard as 24K gold.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

If you actually read the Ars article, they do refer to a patent filing last clear that claims to be for a process that enables production of a gold alloy that is twice as strong as other 18kt gold alloys.

9. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

10. cleirac thread starter macrumors 6502

This will be epic long but their takes are worth a read.

Bashing Jony Ive or Apple is the new favorite sport of some armchair people in the blogosphere before even waiting for the details or more reveal. ;)

My favorite comments / theories so far - taken from that arstechnica url link, http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/03/is-apples-real-watch-innovation-a-gold-case-thats-as-tough-as-steel/?comments=1&start=40, I posted earlier - love this kind of discussions, and not some premature outright dismissals or biases going on this forum ...

Okay, EXPERTS, have at it, GO! If you are not an EXPERT, chut up. I am not talking to you, Piggie. :D

I have nothing to add or meaningful to say but I am super excited to find out but I am not interested with the (baseless) non-sense too. ;)

----------

Ha. EXACTLY. I was busy preparing my epic posted when you posted this. Thanks.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Thanks for that posting.

I LOVE straight forward talk by straight forward practical people.

There are many wonderful, amazing, glorious and interesting things in the world that I "LOVE" hearing about, and talking about.

This is why I can't Stand Apple (Jony Ive's) BullPoo where he has to talk in "Magical Terms" about things.

Honestly. Hand on Heart. He speaks to us in exactly the same way as if you were an Adult in a chair, sitting there reading a story to a group of 5 and 6 year old children sitting around you, staring in naïve wonderment of the story being told.

As an Adult, I don't want that. I don't need it, and The universe is amazing enough without any of that "Magical Talk"

I appreciate Apple products. I also appreciate other products.
    The new Samsung Galaxy 6 edge, is stunning, and if this were made by Apple even more people would find it stunning :)

Back to the watch...........

Yes, I am very much looking forward to Monday, mostly to see the price of the Edition if nothing else.
    Much has been speculated by many here, including myself :)

As I said in the past, and I think it's worth repeating:
    When people say, this watch is made from Solid Gold. Whilst that is correct. The image this statement it conjures up in people's minds may not actually be what this photo clearly shows you:

[​IMG]

It will be interesting to see, when the face is off, the rear circular sensor areas is removed, and the whole internal supporting structure (black in this photo) is also removed, and I'm taking a wild guess this is some aluminium framework it's all fixed to.

Just how much of a shell this "Solid Gold Case" actually is.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

True, "fluoroelastomer" sounds fancier than saying "synthetic rubber".

Thanks. Okay then. I concede they do have such a patent, and that I could be very wrong. Mark this day :)

All Apple has ever said is that it's "up to twice as hard as standard gold." There's no such thing as "standard gold", and they didn't specify a karat, so I assumed they were comparing to "pure gold".

However, perhaps they simply want to avoid saying that they're mixing powered gold with a powdered ceramic, to form an 18kt equivalent composite material that's not all metal.

Why not? Would people look down on such a gold alloy? Actually, I guess they probably couldn't even call it an "alloy" since it's not all metal. The patent calls it a "mixture", mixed in a mold and heated up.

Whoa. It also means that Piggie could be right, since the shell could be made very thin. Which means you could sell a "18kt gold" watch for much less. Which would explain why they think they can sell millions of that model. I think we have to revise possible Edition prices much further downward.

13. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

It might not be a supporting structure that black part. It might be waterproofing. (Which might also double as a supporting structure)

14. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Jesus you are obsessed with this gold case. What will you do when a tear down reveals its all gold, not just some thin shell around an aluminum frame. :eek:

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed yes, all parts of the jigsaw come together to complete the whole final product.

I actually really hope the Gold Edition watch does contain less actual gold that some, even me, are guessing at.

Personally I would like to see the Edition at $999

It would be a good price point, and I'm sure it's possible, given the photo above and careful manufacturing to reduce the gold that's needed in the case.

I want more people to be able to afford to have the watch they want. that's all.

Something like $349, $499 and $999 type pricing.

I'm probably wrong, but I would love to be right on those pricing levels. :)

----------

See Photo above.
    Even you can see it's not "All Gold"

Unless you think Apple is now painting gold black :D

And I will always call it a "shell" as that's what it is, even if you do not like the term.
    All we do not know is the thickness of the wall of the shell.
    Of course it's not super thin, that would be silly, but it may not be super thick either.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Rog, if Apple really is using a ceramic-gold composite for extra hardness above more common 18kt gold alloys, that would have advantages:

1) They could make a much thinner shell than normally possible.

2) Which means less gold to buy and to store at factories.

3) Most importantly, it means that an Edition watch could be far less expensive than anyone has guessed.

An unexpectedly super low price would help explain the leak claiming that Apple expects to sell a million gold Edition models in the first quarter.

I now think we could be in for a surprise. A lot of people could justify spending ~$999 every couple of years.

17. cleirac thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course, the Apple fans love that "stunning" iPhone 6S also coming out in April. It is like Christmas in April. :D

----------

I am going to wait for the real deal iPhone 7. And I am pretty sure the maker of the "stunning" iPhone 6S cannot wait as well.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

At least Piggie can take pride that his model is correct.

[​IMG]

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Thank you.

Of course, this model has to make assumptions re. the internal form
    Logically one would think it should not be a million miles away from reality.

It's a best guess based upon what seems realistic from a "that looks about right based upon all the information I can find" standpoint.

How accurate it is, well time will tell.

I actually hope I have over estimated the amount of Gold in this model, and Apple are using less, which will mean the Edition watch will be more affordable for more people.

Just a couple more days and we should know the price, then, some more waiting till someone will do the teardown, strip all away other than the actual gold, and see how far out I am :)

Always happy to be wrong. :D

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

In yesterday's Jony Ive interview, the description of the box for the Edition sounds like that could cost a couple of hundred dollars by itself.

I think it's just your wishful thinking showing with your diminishing estimates for the cost of the Edition.

Can't you just wait until Monday? :D

21. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

While I'm still skeptical about the $10K estimate, there's no way it will be only $999. That's just silly talk.

22. cleirac thread starter macrumors 6502

Regardless of what they will come up as the final pricing of the new Apple Gold :D, as a fan, I thought it was pure genius ... Apple introduced or blindsided everyone with Gold color in the iPhones and iPads (it was like the elephant in the room moment) and at the same time busy cooking their, Apple Gold! Hehe I dunno we would see some limited edition of very selected iGadgets with Apple Gold. :D

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

24. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

25. kdarling, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yeah, retail for some watch boxes can be pretty high. But Apple will be getting these wholesale.

Ultra-suede is artificial suede. It's a common liner for jewelry boxes. It retails for about $10 per yard of 5 foot wide rolls (15 square feet). That means it would take max about a dollar's worth for each box. Retail.

Dyed leather is a more expensive material, but you can buy a couple of square foot sheets at Michael's for about $10-$15.

In Apple's quantities, the boxes should be pretty inexpensive for them to obtain... after all, they plan to buy a million in the first quarter, supposedly.