Pre-odered iPhone with debit card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lucansmiles, Sep 9, 2016.

1. lucansmiles macrumors member

lucansmiles

I ordered my new iPhone 7 Jet Black with a debit card, since almost nobody here in Austria owns a credit card.

So when does Apple actually count the order?
    - Right when they receive the order no matter if paid or not or
    - When they already received the money?

Cause the latter would be a bummer... This would mean I would be put very late on the pre-order list even though I'm pretty certain I was under the first 100 in Austria and I would certainly not get my iPhone on release day, heck I might even get it in November worst case. Apple say it takes up to 5 business days for them to receive the money, wtf!

Can anyone elaborate on this?

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Does the debt card work more or less like a credit card like in the United States? I don't think you have anything to worry about if it's like using a debit card in the U.S.
    If there is something I'm missing, someone else would chime in.

Congratulations on your order! Hope you enjoy the phone!

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Generally your card will be charged when it ships, but your place is reserved.

4. lucansmiles thread starter macrumors member

lucansmiles

It depends. At supermarkets it does work like that. Enter PIN, done. On Amazon you simply hand them over your bank account number and they will do the rest, just with a credit card. However, with Apple one has to send them money as specified by them. You receive a reference number by Apple you would have to send with your bank account transfer. They then associate the reference number with your pre-order and only THEN they would start processing it. However, I'm unsure if this means that I would only get a place in the pre-order list IF they already received the money. I have no idea how Apple handles this...

Thanks! :)

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

What a major pita this was. Thankfully I have a very nice low interest Barclays, but normally I don't like to use credit at all. I'd rather just pay up, so when I saw they didn't accept my VISA debit card I was annoyed, and it slowed down my order process. I guess they want to make sure you have the funds available when it ships, but maybe they should just pull the money right away.

6. olliewollie1 macrumors newbie

olliewollie1

Im on a visa debit here in Australia. They have placed a hold on my cards account for the amount the phone is worth. I'd imagine this will come out when it has begun shipping to store. In general, if your card was accepted on checkout, then it will go through. Overall, debit cards work no different to credit cards except that they hold your funds, not a credit amount.