Pre-Order 6S Through Apple App If I Have AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slow hand, Sep 10, 2015.

1. slow hand macrumors member

I have AT&T service, with unlimited data. I last upgraded my phone in 2012 when the iPhone 5 came out.

At that time, I was able to pre-order my iPhone 5, and an appointment was set for me to go to the Apple Store and pick up my new iPhone 5. It worked very well - I was in and out of the store in 15 minutes.

Is that an option this time? Or do I have to pre-order through AT&T?

Will I be able to keep my unlimited data plan?

2. danipersing macrumors regular

danipersing

I've been with AT&T forever, and have had unlimited data since the iPhone 3G. I order through Apple, typically, at midnight on pre-order day. I always have them ship it to me, but I haven't had a problem keeping my unlimited plan.

3. slow hand thread starter macrumors member

Same here. But, on the Apple Store App, the only option given is for AT&T Next, which does not sound like a good deal for me, since I only upgrade every 2-3 years. No option is given to sign a new 2-yr service agreement and get a new phone at a subsidized price, like I've always done before.

I guess I really should have titled my thread as a question about AT&T Next.

4. idanny34 macrumors regular

Apple no longer has the 2-year service agreement at a subsidized price option. AT&T still offers that option online and in-store.

5. slow hand thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That answers my question. Guess I'll be attempting a pre-order through AT&T's site.

Which sucks, because in the past, they've had a lot of trouble with their website.

6. idanny34 macrumors regular

I've purchased all of my iPhones through AT&T's website and I would say that it has improved. I managed to purchase an iPhone 6 last year within 1-2 minutes last year.

7. slow hand thread starter macrumors member

Well, I have to say it's been a long time since I tried to use their pre-order system... Possibly as long as 5 years ago for the iPhone 4.

8. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Did you make the launch window delivery date when you preordered through AT&T?

9. bueller1 macrumors 6502

At this point their unlimited data isn't worth the hassle of ordering through AT&T. I ditched unlimited a few months ago. Got 20GB for $100 not including my 25% discount. People should really re think the whole unlimited data nonsense

10. tecnho macrumors 6502

I thought about it as you have instructed, then I looked at my ridiculous data usage, did some very light math, aaaaannnd I'm back to unlimited

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

And getting a 20 gb data plan for $100? Sorry, but I'll have to pass on that one.

12. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

And unthrottled data and the ability to use smart hotspot?
    I'll take that 20 gig rollover plan please.

13. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I haven't experienced throttled data and have no use for a hotspot :)
    I'm sure that there are those that prefer what you've proposed but I'll keep my $100 in my pocket.

14. roccobladr macrumors 6502

Is it cheaper overall to do the att upgrade or do the installments?

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Ever so gently, closing that can of worms. ;)

16. tecnho macrumors 6502

Tell me about it... And that one isn't even as bad as the 'Next v. Apple upgrade debate', I had a pretty good handle on the details of that one until factors such as tax were inserted into the equation. I bowed out of the race at that point...

17. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I prefer to stay out of the line of fire. That was one loaded question, akin to system wars.
    I realize that wasn't your intent but still a "hot potato" topic here on Mac Rumors.

18. roccobladr macrumors 6502

I must have missed the debate lol. I'm on the 5GB plan and get the 15$ savings right now so it would technically be 200$ upgrade plus pay the 15$ extra each month for 24 months and come out to 560$

19. tecnho macrumors 6502

Wasn't my question bud

20. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Works nicely for me, with rollover I have plenty of data, plus I get $25/month off of my bill. Unlimited you still have the potential to get throttled as after 5gb you go to the bottom of the network priority list.

What do you use so much data with? Short of tethering and watching a ton of movies, why do you need that much data? Just curious. Do you use it to avoid having WiFi at home and/or work?

21. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Here in NYC you're throttled at 3gb, 5gb max. Not sure if that applies wherever you are.

22. bueller1 macrumors 6502

That's what I'm wondering. I could never give up FiOS to tether my unlimited AT&T data plan lol.

23. mlsusa macrumors regular

24. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Yea, which would be great if I lived in Ohio. Lol. But NYC is congested, and throttling still exists. I also like having the freedom of creating a hot spot. 20GB works just fine for 2 heavy iPhone users and an iPad Air 2

25. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I admit I thought about ditching unlimited data and going to the mobile plan. A couple weeks ago or so, I was on the phone with AT&T, finding out about my options about paying off the 12th month of Next. I asked him about the mobile share plan. He actually told me that with my data usage between iPhone and iPad, which was 13GB the last full month before then, that it would not benefit me at all to ditch unlimited. That convinced me. I couldn't even fathom that an AT&T rep would tell someone to stay where they are and not pay more through the MSP