Pre-Order Activations

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willie5566, Jun 17, 2010.

?

For those expecting delivery on June 24. When will you get your phone activated?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2010.
  1. As soon as it is in my hands.

73 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. I am just going to wait until June 25.

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. I will activate it on the 24th, later in the day.

22 vote(s)
    22.4%
  4. I'll get to it when I get to. Could be 2 days, could be a week.

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

Surprised I have not seen posts on this but here goes. I am curious what peoples plans are on getting their phone activated for those that are expecting delivery on June 24.

I feel like we are at a disadvantage when it comes to getting it activated on the day it arrives as we are at the mercy of Fed Ex or UPS. By the time it delivers, I feel like there will be lines to contend with of people trying to walk into the store and get one AND 600,000 others that are going to be getting theirs throughout the day.

2. christyn macrumors 6502a

Most are planning on doing it at home I'm sure..

3. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Um, just wing it man. See what happens, and take it from there.

4. oldschooldude macrumors regular

I pre-ordered from Apple and have a 6/24 delivery date.

My guess is the activation process will be as big a CLUSTER-F**K as the pre-order process. That being said, I will endure the frustration as long as it takes to get the damn phone activated on the 24th.

5. ttech10 macrumors 6502

I'll just keep trying throughout the day. Hopefully FedEx/UPS comes early and I can activate it before the servers die.

6. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

I think activation must be in store.

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

My phone delivers on the 24th(thanks Apple), but I am waiting until friday morning before work to activate it. I can wait 'til next morning, so long as I have my iPhone 4, and my 3G to still make calls until I activate.

8. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Ah, no. If you have home delivery, you activate at home using iTunes for a standard activation.

For an Upgrade Swap, check back here on the Forum on June 24 the latest breaking news on the fastest way to use the donor iPhone 4 on your line.

Dave

9. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Facepalm

10. metalblaze macrumors member

Having never done an upgrade swap before, any thoughts on how to do that at home? Is it a better idea to head to the ATT store and join the "mad rush" on 24th?

11. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

This is helpful. I guess I should assume that activations (first time customers) can fire theirs up at home.

I am also assuming that if I am upgrading that I will not be able to do this.

Of course this is a lot of assuming because you were so put off by my response and decided you would not be helpful in anyway.

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My iPhone is being delivered to my job and I will activate it once I get home. I only live about 15 or 20 minutes away so it won't be too bad of a ride home.

13. iadam09 macrumors regular

I'll be doing it either at home or work. Depends at what time I get it and where I am at that point :p but I want to do it immediately!

14. Ares1590 macrumors member

I won't get get mine until the sunday after due to a trip. But I will certainly activate it as soon as I open the box!

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Overreact much?

That was hardly worth a facepalm, just a no.

16. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

17. menist macrumors regular

menist

Right after I put on the Invisible Shield full body, on June 24.. :D

18. Ares1590 macrumors member

I am surprised how many people do not think activation can be done at home. I remember activating my iPhone 3G at home after picking it up at AT&T on launch day. Same thing with my first-gen iPhone when I got it in the mail.

We will definitely be able to do the same with the iPhone 4.*

*Assuming AT&T pulls through :eek:

19. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Although I want to use my phone ASAP, I do envy you. By Sunday you should be able walk right in and get it done.

20. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

I have never had the need. I also have never picked up a phone the day it launched. I am sure I am not alone on this.

I am still not clear on upgrades. I will not be able to swap my 3g for the iPhone 4 from home will I? I would love if I can.

21. Ares1590 macrumors member

I guess there IS a plus side to being gone during the mad rush :D
    But I am just going do it a home. At which point I expect the storm of activations will be over.

My biggest complaint as of now is that no one in my family is getting an iPhone 4 as soon as I am. So I wont have anyone to test Facetime out on :(

22. Ares1590 macrumors member

I don't know if anyone has gotten a definitive answer regarding this from AT&T, but I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it from home. The last two times I did it from home that is what I did. I plugged in the new phone, and once the activation process started my old phone just shut off (in terms of service) and the new one began.

23. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

That would be FANTASTIC!!!!

24. Hot Karl macrumors newbie

Also my experience

My experience has also been that everything can be done from home (new activation, or transferring account from previous iPhone). I think the fears regarding activation are attributed to AT&T's ability (or anticipated inability) to use their systems to complete the activation.

Here's to hoping that things go smoothly on the 24th.

25. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Yes you will be able to upgrade from home. I did it last year when upgrading from a 3G to a new 3GS.
    • The 3GS was shipped to my home.
    • I plugged the 3GS into iTunes.
    • The phone activated and asked if I wanted to restore to a previous backup. I selected yes.
    • After a few minutes my content and settings were transferred to the new phone and the activation was complete.

There's no reason to think the iPhone 4 release will work any differently.

FYI, after the new phone was activated the old 3G wouldn't work as the activation transferred my account to the new SIM and the old one was deactivated. I still could swap the now active new SIM between phones though.