Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Just wanted to update you guys in case anyone else is in the same situation. Ordered my phone through Apple, delivered at home using ATT trade in installment plan. Received the kit to ship it back. Was able to take the phone and the kit into a Corporate owned ATT store and they were able to complete my trade in, in person.

SFMarc

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
I had to pay for the iPhone in full when I bought it online.

My trade was quoted/worth $650.

Apple credited back my credit card $713 ($650 + $63 in taxes).
Does Apple usually credit back taxes on trade-ins? They didn't credit back taxes on my trade-in last week.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
If you are using an older phone to trade in on a newer phone, you should only pay taxes on the trade difference. This is how purchasing an automobile works.

Since you pay the entire amount up front (to include full taxes), once you bring in your trade in, you get back that portion of taxes you shouldn't have paid based on the value of your trade in.

It’s certainly possible some states don’t allow for this. If so, it’s a pure money grab.

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I'm in NY and I received state taxes back from an in store trade in (which I pleasantly surprised with).

jmoflhrc

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
First bill from AT&T arrived after pre-ordering from Apple direct and returning old phone to an AT&T store. All credits on the bill are as expected. No issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.