Pre-order error "We were unable to complete set up online."?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Captainobvvious, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

I received a LOT of errors yesterday when trying to pre-order my iPhone. I eventually got through but now with my wife's phone I get this message that is unlike any of the ones I got before.

"We were unable to complete set up online.

To finish creating your account, you’ll need to visit an Apple Retail Store where we can help you in person."

It gets past the account validation, I pick the phone, data plan and text plan then it kicks me out with this error every single time.

Is it a problem with Apple.com or my account? AT&T can't find a thing wrong that would interfere on their end, it does this to all the other lines on my account. If it was a temporary error that is fine but I don't wanna sit here al day trying if it is something else.

Thanks for any help.

2. rslygh macrumors newbie

no pre-orders today, 6/16

I had to talk to customer service today about something else, but the rep mentioned that they're not taking any iPhone 4 pre-orders today (6/16) because of all the issue yesterday. She also mentioned that the pre-orders are on hold until further notice, which likely means they want to get things upgraded to handle the flood of traffic before opening the gates again. You can try calling to verify this, but I'm going to guess you're stuck waiting until they start allowing pre-orders again.

3. wildfire723 macrumors newbie

I had the exact same error message and it turned out that because my statement from ATT goes to my PO Box rather then having a street address I got this error. I went in on my ATT online account, changed my address, sent in a new order on Apple.com and it went right through. Once I have my phone, I'll go back online and change my ATT address again. Hope that helps you.

4. fuhrj macrumors newbie

Urgh, thanks wildfire. I've been trying for DAYS to pre-order and it was for the same PO box reason.

You would think that they would display something more meaningful instead of a generic error.

iPhone 4g, pre-ordered!