Pre-order iPhone 4S unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hikarie, Oct 6, 2011.

1. hikarie macrumors newbie

Anyone know if this is possible, or how I would go about getting a hold of one?

Thanks

2. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I need to know this too. I don't wanna get stuck without one!

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

There's several threads on here discussing this same thing. Apple hasn't even confirmed whether or not there will be an unlocked version sold in the U.S., though it has been implied. Most speculation is that it will be available, eventually.. could be months for all we know...

4. EddyP macrumors 6502

I don't think it is possible at pre-order. I hope I'm wrong. I haven't seen anything about unlocked being sold now. Talk is it will be a few months.

I'm probably going to hold out until they get into people's hands and we see how this works. I doubt I'll be pre-ordering. I have too many questions I want answered before I buy one.

If I get a CDMA version through a carrier will GSM be unlocked to use when traveling? Or can I use GSM in the US with a different carrier?

5. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat. The best way to know is if the preorder looks similar to the new iPhone 4 (8gb). If the iPhone 4, it gives you the option of getting an unlocked version at full price. It's likely to say the same for the 4s if it's the case.

6. hikarie thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've read, theres no way of ATT just unlocking it if you call them? I travel overseas often and would really like to be able to use the iPhone abroad. I'm not considering Verizon or Sprint because of this. With t-mobile, I can ask, and they'll unlock whatever phone I'm using.

7. techguy20 macrumors 6502

From what I understand, there will not be an unlocked version purchasable directly at launch, however there will be in a few weeks or months.

There were a few other forum threads discussing it.

8. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Will it be possible to preorder a phone at full price with no contract?

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I dont think they will ever sell unlocked iphones right at launch. the scalpers buy them up and ship them overseas easily enough if they were available unlocked and the scalpers didnt have to deal with the carriers it would be pandemonium. Let the new launch in most countries then bring out the unlocked version.

10. hikarie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, do you know if the unlocked ones that will be purchasable with a contract?

11. getKaos macrumors member

The iPhone's sold in Canada are unlocked when you pay full price from Apple.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Maybe I'm not understanding, but if you buy an unlocked iPhone why would you want a contract?

13. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

other countries sell unlocked iPhones on contract. you get the subsidized price.

14. hikarie thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't mind signing a 2 year contract with AT&T but I want the option of switching out my sim card when I am out of the country. With any phone now, I just call up T-Mobile, tell them I'll be in another country and need the phone unlocked and it's no problem. Seems like a hassle with ATT.

15. TLewis macrumors 65816

November. Here's a screen snippet from the 4S ordering page (go to Apple's 4S ordering page to see this):

Attached Files:

16. hikarie thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate it, thanks!

17. illutionz macrumors 65816

It's really not a hassle for AT&T but it's a hassle with AT&T AND iPhone.

They allow us to unlock any phone if you're no longer in a contract... except the iPhone. :D

18. EddyP macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Well that stinks. The unlocked ones still won't work on CDMA? What is that about? I HAVE to buy a locked one to get CDMA service? That's stupid.

I still want to know if buy one on Verizon if I can use GSM when I travel (without roaming). I'll probably still wait until they are out and people kick the tires and see how all of this works.

19. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I think the thing with CDMA devices is the ESN is registered to a particular carrier, so you can't jump around, but I may be wrong about that.

20. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

From what I've read, at least with Verizon, they CDMA Verizon iPhone has the GSM portion locked to their GSM roaming partner Vodaphone.

That was according to a rep so can be taken with a grain of salt - but still wouldn't surprise me to keep people from moving to AT&T with it.

No idea on Sprint though.

21. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

+1.

I'd also like the $500 subsidy because I'm paying for it anyway with my monthly plan.

I guess the way to do this is to buy an unlocked model, then order a locked model and immediately sell it to recoup the cost. Presumably the locked model will fetch a price close to the unlocked version, so you're really paying a small unlocking premium.

22. EddyP macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I'm not saying either of you are wrong. It's just frustrating there is no clear word on how this all works.

In the mean time, I think I'm off to get the glass on my 3GS fixed. I may just end up hanging on to that for a while until this all gets sorted out.

23. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I'm not sure an unlocked iPhone would be worth it. Go check out my cost analysis. Unless you travel a lot and want to really avoid those traveling fees...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1242470

it probably won't be worth it. Link to my thread above. :apple:

24. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The GSM portion will still work while abroad - you will just be stuck with the roaming partner either Sprint or Verizon choose, meaning you can't freely swap the sim to a carrier of your choice.

Again what I posted is unconfirmed based on one persons report from a Rep, but it doesn't surprise me.

The reason regarding the CDMA - you can't take a Sprint CDMA phone and use it on Verizon without a lot of hacking on your part. While the jailbreak community might find a way to make this happen, expect it to take a while. This problem exist with every CDMA phone and is not just the iPhone having this issue.

25. hikarie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think you're right, it may not be worth the full price but I think Le Big Mac might be onto something. Perhaps buying 2 phones, one subsidized, one not, and selling the locked phone might recoup a large portion of the costs.