Pre-Order on Apple Store Online with an AT&T Next already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elbeborandy, Sep 3, 2016.

1. elbeborandy macrumors member

Blessings, family, I just want to know something and I didn't find any information about this on Internet.

I actually have an AT&T Next with an iPhone 6 Plus, I usually when I want to buy another iPhone, I wailt until is on stock and order through AT&T online. There I can select the new iPhone and then make the taxt payments, after that, I just have to wait until that iPhone get home to pay all the AT&T Next payments that left on my account.

My question is: I want to make my first pre-order through Apple Store, I can do it without problems and will be the same as AT&T online?

I mean: I can pre-order the iPhone 7 and I just have to pay the tax of the phone and then when get home I can pay the rest of the AT&T Next payments that I have or with Apple Store you can't make a pre-order with an already AT&T Next plan?

I would like someone can answer me this. Blessings.

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Are you wanting to keep your old iPhone or give it back to at&t?

3. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

Blessings. In the past (when I order through AT&T) I get the new iPhone and then I sell the old one, with that money I pay the three or four payment left on my account on AT&T.

Now I want to do the same. I'm wondering if I can pre-order through Apple (I know I'm elegible through AT&T online) so I can get better luck with delivery time.

In other words: I'm elegible right now to make an upgrade but I have like three or four payments left on AT&T Next. I'm wondering if I can pre-order through Apple and when I receive the new iPhone, go to AT&T to pay those payments rest.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

I am not sure to be honest, but what I have done this year and last year is that I paid the old iPhone off before the event and then ordered through apple as a new next device on an existing line. You can pay it off through the att site. Hope this helps. I didn't have an issue doing this last year and I don't anticipate any issue this year.

5. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer. But I don't want to do that because there will be more expensive for me.

I just want to know -for anyone who's reading this- if I can pre-order an iPhone through Apple Store online with AT&T Next payments left on my account. Obviously, I'm elegible to upgrade, but I just want to know about getting the new one and then pay what's left this one (same method as AT&T)

6. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I also have the same question and AT&T was not helpful at all in helping me. They said that they "think" that you should be able to pay the next installment that's remaining and do a pre-order at the same time but I'm taking that with a grain of salt.

I was going to do the same thing but since I'm on a next 20 and have already paid of 12 months, its silly of me to give my phone to AT&T and start over- they are basically stealing from you. I will pay off my phone, sell it and then decide if I want to do another next plan or use Apple's Upgrade Program.

Only someone who has done it can shed light on it unfortunately as AT&T is pretty much useless.

7. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

Yeap. I called to AT&T and one person told me that I can't, then I called again and someone told me that I can. But I would like to read someone that already did this so I can be relax on the pre-order :)

8. Survivor058 macrumors newbie

Survivor058

Good morning guys! The answer is yes! You can. I have 6 phones on the next program, 3 of which we keep up with the newest iPhone. So what you will do is pre-order your phone from Apple. They will only make sure your account is in good standing with AT&T. Then you pay your tax on your phone and so on. They will send you the new iPhone 7 when its time and you WILL HAVE BOTH PHONES at which you must return your old phone or you will be charged with the remaining balance of the previous phone.

So from here what I did was sell all 3 phones and that was more money than what I owed in the phones. So I still came out on top. i can screen shot the old bill if you guys need proof and I may even still have the paperwork for the preorder.

9. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot, you're a hero jeje... So now I can be more relax :) I really Don't want to preorder from AT&T because I know Apple Store is a better way to do it.

So, last question... Does the new iPhone from Apple (from AT&T) comes with a new SIM or do I have to use my actual SIM?

Sorry for my bad English, I speak Spanish :)

10. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

When you trade in your phone, it wipes out the remaining installments. Just upgrade your phone, send the old one back, you won't be responsible for the remaining 3-4 installments.

11. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

Greetings, now that you say this. That's mean that at the moment of the pre-order I just will have "two options". One for trade-in and the other por payfull the iPhone?

I mean, what if I would like to go to AT&T and pay the three payments left? In that case I should select the trade-in option and then instead of returning my actual iPhone, go to AT&T and pay the three payments left, right?

12. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

No. when you pre-order, select 'trade in'. When your new phone arrives, the shipping box will have a prepaid packing slip included for you to mail your phone back. The remaining installments will be removed from the bill. A new installment plan will begin with the new device.

I will add, when you pre order the phone via ATT online, you HAVE to ship the phone back. Because the online system and the in store system are different, you can not take the trade in device back to a store location, your only option is to ship it back.

13. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

But I could not understand what you're saying. Becuase I don't to want to trade-in my actual iPhone. When I order through AT&T, I select for trade-in but at the end I don't send the iPhone, I just go to AT&T and pay the payments left on my AT&T Next and I stay with it; later I sell the phone.

So I'm willing to do the same this time when the pre-order start on Apple Store. Select the "trade-in" but at the end I won't send via mail, just go to AT&T and complete the payment on my AT&T Next. At the end, that's the important thing, that the old AT&T Next is in $0.

14. darknyt macrumors 6502a

When apple ships you the new phone, they will also provide instructions for returning the phone to ATT (or whatever vendor ATT selected to deal with returns). If you don't send the phone in on time, ATT will simply add the remaining payments to your next phone bill. That's what they did to me when I didn't return the phone in time. Had to deal with them and provide proof of delivery of phone to get them to reverse the charge.

15. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

Well but is the same if I pay the reamining three payments on my account. AT&T just need to see that the AT&T Next on my iPhone 6 Plus is $0 when I receive the new iPhone. At least that's what I do when I order through AT&T online. You can either mail back the old iPhone or go to AT&T and pay the reamining payments.

You are telling me that on Apple Online I couldn't do this? That if I select trade-in I have to send my phone back and can't go to AT&T and pay the AT&T Next. It doesn't make sense that. The important thing is Next is $0.

16. darknyt macrumors 6502a

My point is that you can just go through the process acting like you are going to send it in but then just keep it and ATT will just charge you the remaining payments. That way you don't have to go anywhere or do anything.

17. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

Ah, oka, now I understand you. Thanks.

My plan will be to pre-order the iPhone through Appe Store app, then pay the taxes, and wait for the release day. Then sell my actual iPhone when I get the iPhone 7, and then go to AT&T to pay the three remaining payments that I have :)

18. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Similar question here. What if I'm on AT&T's Next plan, but I want to switch over to Apple's payment plan? I'm tired of paying to unlock AT&T phones, and Apple's come unlocked.

Seems to me it would be a simple matter of ordering from Apple, then swapping the SIM from the old to the new phone, then selling the old phone and paying AT&T the balance owed. Has anyone done this?

I noticed that in order to get an installment plan with Apple, you have to choose a carrier. Does that mean the phone arrives activated? If so, does that mean AT&T is going to demand payment in full on the Next balance immediately once they see that the number is active on a new device that they didn't sell me?

19. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

You're not sure nderstanding. When you send the old phone back, you are no longer responsible for the remaining installments on the old phone. Why pay more money when it's not necessary?
    I think your best bet would be to go in and have them explain it in person.

20. elbeborandy thread starter macrumors member

If you have read my first comments, I said that I wont send the phone back. I always sell my iPhone to a friend and then with that money I go to AT&T and pay the reaiming payments. Why ship back my actual iPhone if you can sell it to a friend (at a lower price) and then pay the reaming payments on AT&T? That's what I'm telling you, bro.

This time I think I would click on "trade in" option but at the end I won't send the phone. I would sell it and then pay the old AT&T Next.