Pre-order & porting # to new carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ScubaCinci, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I'm thinking about switching from AT&T to Verizon (I've been on AT&T since the initial iPhone). My AT&T contract has expired...can I do the pre-order on Apple.com and port my current phone number over to Verizon? How does this work?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should call Verizon and/or AT&T to ask and be certain. Also, as it stands, VZW won't do voice+data so if this matters (noting another thread you posted in) then you should stick with what you have. I am on VZW so this isn't an attempt to bash the lack of the feature. Like I mentioned in another thread you posted in, this technology is now in the phone but VZW needs to roll it out and I believe Apple will end up pushing a software update.

4. ScubaCinci thread starter macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Thanks. I was reading that Verge article you(?) linked to and it looks like in many areas that functionality will exist soon if not already (there was a note at the end of the article saying it is rolled out already). I'm willing to deal with it for a bit if I know it will be "fixed".

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If it is a feature you definitely see yourself needing then you absolutely should not rely on any carrier to roll out anything like this on time. So if it is a situation where your business would rely on it or something to that extent, I would stick with AT&T. If you're truly unhappy with AT&T then move on over. Both companies have their pros and cons. For me, VZW worked better at my house and in some surrounding areas than AT&T. This was 3 years ago. Now VZW in my house has somehow started to fail in places. That is of detriment to me because I use my phone as a phone more often now.

Just something to consider. Obviously I could be wrong and VZW could roll this all out on time or in the timeframe they claim they would.