Pre-order process, Carrier lookup Jam things up?

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
I haven't bought an iPhone at the launch hour for a while. But assuming you use the Apple site/app, when the process goes through the check for carrier status, won't everything grind to a slowdown? I know apple is probably prepared for the crunch but do you think that over the years that the carriers have upgraded their capacity for handling these requests?

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
This type of load only happens a handful of times a year and doesn't impact most people so I would say that the carriers could care less that their servers were slow for 1-2 hours in the middle of the night a couple times per year.

The average person that pre orders will do so the following morning/day and by that time things will basically be back to normal.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
This type of load only happens a handful of times a year and doesn't impact most people so I would say that the carriers could care less that their servers were slow for 1-2 hours in the middle of the night a couple times per year.

The average person that pre orders will do so the following morning/day and by that time things will basically be back to normal.
True. But for those who wake up at 3:00AM and want to go back to sleep, if the servers choke/crash, it will be an annoyance.

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
True. But for those who wake up at 3:00AM and want to go back to sleep, if the servers choke/crash, it will be an annoyance.
True but do you think they care enough to dump millions into updating their servers to handle a load that is experienced for a few hours at most each year?

The Apple servers will be the bottleneck for getting through preordering.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
True but do you think they care enough to dump millions into updating their servers to handle a load that is experienced for a few hours at most each year?

The Apple servers will be the bottleneck for getting through preordering.
I've bought stuff at the midnight launch for some other items where it should have been busy and don't remember too many issues. The load this time will be greater though. Apple has the money and resources to improve their servers for launches and probably have in my opinion. I was more concerned about the carriers not caring. I would think they would spend their money improving their own sites rather than servers for handling external requests.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Apple may have the Cash but they don't spend it on the yearly pre-order spike load. The best example of Apple's frugal model is that Apple still takes down their entire Online Store to make the updates just like online retailers did 15 years ago.

I can't name another top 10 Online Store that still takes their online site down to update content before a major purchase window or date like Black Friday for example.

Apple and the Carriers have a codependency on each other. The bottleneck shifts back and forth during the initial pre-order window opening. In the past, we have had major issues with the Apple site and over the years each of the 4 US carriers have had their share of fails.

Dave

Reactions: haqsha23

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Apple may have the Cash but they don't spend it on the yearly pre-order spike load. The best example of Apple's frugal model is that Apple still takes down their entire Online Store to make the updates just like online retailers did 15 years ago.

I can't name another top 10 Online Store that still takes their online site down to update content before a major purchase window or date like Black Friday for example.

Apple and the Carriers have a codependency on each other. The bottleneck shifts back and forth during the initial pre-order window opening. In the past, we have had major issues with the Apple site and over the years each of the 4 US carriers have had their share of fails.

Dave
When they started that practice of bringing down the store years ago, I remember it was said that the Mac software they used for the store didn't allow for live updates. It's funny that all these years later they haven't corrected it. To the point that people claimed they took the store down for dramatic effect.