Pre order repurchase question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by spoa94, Apr 3, 2015.

1. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

My birthday is on April 22nd and my family is planning on getting me a Apple Gift card because they know I want the Apple Watch. I want to be able to preorder on April 10 so that I get the model I want on time. Is it possible to preorder and pay with say a debit card and then on April 24 return and repurchase my watch with a Apple gift card?

2. mbhforum macrumors 6502

I am in a similar position. I just got $550 of Apple Store gift cards which will cover most of the SS version and I fear having to use their web site with multiple combinations of payments won't work out well. I might use the app to order one with my CC, and then try on the web site after with my GC and CC. If am successful with the web site, I will cancel the first order. I can't see the store giving you a hard time returning and repurchasing it though. Makes no sense.

It really sucks that the Apple Store app doesn't accept their GC's yet.

3. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

I don't think so.

A return is not immediately available for resale. Apple sends it for refurbishment. Even if you could get by that, Apple cannot sell a 'used' watch as a 'new' watch.

I'm sure a small company could offer customer service like this, but imagine this.... You're trying to be a bad guy ... if you went out of the store a minute after 'purchasing a watch' and went to the media showing your receipt for a 'new' watch and it looks very used. The media would have a field day with Apple.

So, the big guys have to follow the rules.

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

If it's like any other Apple product, you will have 14 days to return it with a full refund, no questions asked.

5. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Yes but the tricky question is can I then repurchase the exact same product I just returned with a different payment method?

6. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

How about getting your family to preorder the watch for you? This would seem to solve all the problems.

7. AppleMan84 macrumors newbie

Why don't you reserve for pickup in store? I did the same thing for the first gen iPad and didn't pay until I picked it up; the blurb from the online store suggests it'll be the same for the Watch.

8. sterl320 macrumors 6502

I honestly think the safest thing to do is to just wait until the watch you want is available again, or simply make a reservation on the 10th to buy the watch in the store on the 24th.

9. spoa94 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Thank you both. After the story came out about reserving for pickup with $0 down I decided that is the way I am going to go.

10. st0k3d macrumors member

Just have them give you cash or one of those Amex gift cards instead of an Apple gift card. Problem solved.