Carrier Pre-Order through Apple or AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsmill, Sep 7, 2016.

1. dsmill macrumors member

I have an iPhone 6 six through the AT&T Next program. My phone is paid off so that I can upgrade. Should I go through AT&T or Apple to pre-order the new phone. I am planning on getting the 7+ this time around.

2. I_am_a_loser macrumors regular

I think either will work fine. I switched from VZW to AT&T last year for the 6s and have been much happier. I set up my new account on the AT&T website and ordered the phone at the same time. Next year when the next iPhone is released I'll probably go through Apple's website directly, but I wouldn't mind using AT&T again either.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I always go through Apple. Apple usually has more inventory plus no restocking fee incase you want to return for a different sized phone.

4. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

I went with Apple last time and was happy with it. I paid off my phone through Next and then placed the order for the phone through Apple on the Next plan. Worked out great and I'll be doing the same this time.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Out of curiosity? Why is everyone doing Next when you can do IUP and not have to pay the $40 activation fee?

6. HerdJC macrumors member

HerdJC

While I have only strayed from the iPhone once (to get a Note 3, which I enjoyed), I prefer to be able to keep my options open to pick phones from more than one manufacturer. The Next plan offers me that possibility.

7. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

I am still trying to weigh the pros and cons for doing AT&T Next or the Apple program. I Have no clue what to do.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah but technically your options would be more open doing the IUP. IUP is carrier independent so you are not wasting your Next upgrade. I could get the 7+ via IUP and Note 7 via Next at the same exact time if I wanted to. But thanks for answering, I was definitely curious. Ive seen a lot of Next customers around lately.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    I used Next for the 6. Switched to IUP for 6s and will be doing IUP going forward. If you upgrade yearly guaranteed, its a few dollars cheaper plus you don't have the $40 activation fee. Also you get AppleCare+. Now if you are going to keep it for the full 24 months, then its not cheaper because you have the cost of AppleCare+. But I ended up saving about $50 this year vs. Next because of the $1 a month less + $40 in activation I didn't have to pay.

9. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

Awesome! I plan on upgrading yearly. I'm not to pleased with the hard hit to credit score every year.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Thats unknown. The first year yes, but yearly is unknown. It depends on how Citizen's Loans does things. For example, if you want a credit line increase from Citi or Amex, its typically a soft pull, Chase on the other hand is a hard pull. Once you establish a history with a company, they typically don't require hard credit checks going forward.

11. dsmill thread starter macrumors member

Do you have to set up a new next account or will it go directly to the existing account when pre-ordering on Apple?

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You log into your AT&T account through Apple. (Phone number, SS#, Zip code, AT&T security passcode).

13. dsmill thread starter macrumors member

What if you don't have a passcode? do you need one?

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

AT&T might require one now. I remember hearing about it a while back. You could call AT&T and create one. Its just a 4 digit pin for added security.

15. samlikesmac macrumors member

Are you able to upgrade through Apple's website by paying for one more installment for Next 12 and still trade-in the phone you're currently using for a credit for the remainder of the payments or is the trade-in offer only available from the AT&T website itself? If so, does anyone know if it has to be in it's original packaging with everything included and how long you have to send it in?