Carrier Pre-order through AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwlbel, Sep 11, 2016.

1. jwlbel macrumors regular

I went into the AT&T store this afternoon and I pre-ordered two (for my wife and myself) new iPhones 7 plus'. The estimated ship date isn't until 10/7-10/14. My question is... Is it possible to go into the AT&T Store (after they are released) if they have them in stock, can I get them in-store and cancel my pre-order or do I have to wait until the pre-order finally ships? Of course, assuming that they have some in store to sell. It would make sense that I could but sometimes places have strange rules that don't make any sense.

2. coolaaron88 macrumors member

coolaaron88

I work for AT&T

Once the preorder ships you won't be able to cancel it until its delivered.

3. jwlbel thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the quick reply :)

My question is... Since it is not due to ship until 10/7-10/14 and if I go into the local AT&T on launch day or soon after but BEFORE it ships can I get it in the store and cancel my pre-order that has not shipped yet? If it ships earlier and I for some reason (would love it if it happened) I were to get it on launch day then I would not need to go into the store.

4. Juansito macrumors regular

Juansito

I have heard (can't confirm) that if you cancel your order it takes 24/48 hours for the upgrade (att next) to become available again so you can re-order.

5. coolaaron88 macrumors member

coolaaron88

Yes you can do that any time as long as it hasnt shipped, you'd be good.

6. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I ordered then cancelled a 6s and then ordered the 6sPlus within 5 minutes last year on NEXT as soon as preorders went live. I had no problem with my NEXT eligibility re-upping immediately.

I'm sure there have been others not so lucky.

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I canceled a preorder with Apple tonight and within an hour or so it was showing available to upgrade with AT&T again. AT&T told me 12 hours, took much much less than that. Not a exactly the same situation but just a data point to consider.