Pre-order vs. Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gibbynd, Jan 11, 2011.

1. gibbynd macrumors member

Pardon me if I seem confused, but I read 2 different stories online.

1. Existing customers can pre-order the phone start Feb. 3. I read this as anyone on Verizon can pre-order the phone and pay whatever they will be charged for the phone.

2. There is language saying "qualified customers can pre-order" starting Feb. 3. Is this different? I understand that certain people can get upgrade pricing, but are they going to not let everyone pre-order who wants to?

My local Verizon rep says he sees no reason why you could not pre-order and pay full price if you weren't eligible for an upgrade.

Also, don't bother checking small business plans for upgrade eligibility. Apple tells you your plan doesn't qualify and to sign up for a new plan or go to the store to keep your current number.

Thoughts?

2. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

pre-ordering = apple
    actual cost of phone = verizon

with AT&T everyone could pre-order an iPhone 4 as long as you agreed to a new two year contract
    upgrade eligible= full discount
    early upgrade = partial discount (gray zone)
    not upgrade eligible = pay full price

3. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i was kind of wondering the same thing. i bought a droid x in august and now i want to buy an iphone on the 10th. i assumed id have no problem pre-ordering, but i have a feel verizon is going to get me for 6 to 7 hundred dollars. i really want a verizon iphone but for that much it would almost be cheaper to terminate my contract and go to at&t. im quite conflicted here, someone talk me out of it or tell me they are gonna spend a lot too so i dont feel as bad

4. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

If you pre-order you are making yourself vulnerable to getting screwed like the iPhone 4 buyers. They had no idea that the phone would have a crappy antenna.

5. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Really? This is really the best you can do to troll? Sad Indeed. Can't wait for your witty response to this.

6. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I always wait and see what the crowd complains about on any new releases whether it is a phone, car, or whatever... normally Companies like to use the consumers as a real world beta testers.

I will wait for about a month before I get my iphone 4 from V. I want to see if anyone finds any issues first.