Pre-order when switching to Verizon from ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yendog, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Yendog macrumors regular

Yendog

Okay... wow I'm just tired of looking and not finding the answer to my question.. maybe one of you smart people can help me.

Me and a family member are on a family plan on ATT and he really wants to go to Verizon. We both are "in contract" but willing to pay the early termination fee.

What is the process of pre-ordering but getting the subsidized price for a NEW Verizon account, but also making sure our numbers can transfer over?

I apologize if this has been answered anywhere else but I just can't find it. This might just be too complicated and we will have to wait and just go to a Verizon store once it comes out. (hope the stock is better this time around)

Do we sign up for an account tonight if we pre-order? But then can activate and transfer the numbers from ATT when we get the phones? It's my 4th iPhone and I still don't really know what protocol is going to exist this time cause I've never changed carries obviously.

Does this make sense? Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Kflik macrumors member

I am switching people from Verizon to AT&T.

The process is to order the phone through AT&T or APPLE. You pick your plan, texts, etc. Pay for your phone, choose the free port option (the port option takes your number from Verizon and transfers it as soon as you activate your new AT&T phone) When your phone arrives you activate it and your Verizon contract is automatically canceled and you are now on AT&T with your same phone number.

Im guessing Verizon is very similar. Hope that sort of helps.

3. egonpax macrumors 6502

That's some awesome information. Now throw an existing family plan into the mix and how does that work?

I have an existing AT&T family plan and want my wife to switch over. How does that work. No one seems to know or want to answer.

4. Yendog thread starter macrumors regular

Yendog

yea... then ATT cancels and just charges us for our early termination automatically?

Im thinking I could just get the phone, choose the plan, then maybe group it as a "family plan" later on?

SO confusing.

5. Kflik macrumors member

Well when I spoke with the man from AT&T I told him we were all going to join and create a family plan. These were the instructions that he told me to follow and what would occur. If your wife is moving networks, my previous statement is what will have to happen, the only difference is she will probably chose some sort of JOIN existing FAMILY PLAN instead of choosing her own plan. When you order the phone tonight and you select your carrier and you begin going through the steps it will all be a bit more clear.

@Yendog. ATT will just send you some sort of FINAL BILL, on this final bill will be your early termination fee.

With VERIZON and AT&T family plans are not hard to create, they encourage you adding lines all the time, so the process is actually a bit simple. I am creating a family plan in this process, and I am sure there will be an option for me to be able to do this when I am ordering and selecting my plan!

Hope some of this helps.

6. Yendog thread starter macrumors regular

Yendog