Pre-Order Won't Start Until 10am PST (Just a guess)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dsa420, Mar 30, 2015.

1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

Purely speculation here but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't start accepting online pre-orders (for home delivery) until 10am PST on April 10th.

Just a hunch that this launch might deviate from the norm midnight launch, will be awake at midnight regardless but just have a sneaking suspicion it might not go down until 10am PST

2. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I doubt it. If they deviate from their norm then their web traffic will be hit by a hundred thousand people hitting refresh every 10 seconds. If they DID plan to deviate they would probably announce it.

I am hoping they will open up the Watch App store before the 25th so that we could have all of our apps preloaded to the phones for our first sync.

I am also hoping I do not have to charge it for 3 hours before I wear it the first time.

3. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I don't see why they'd launch it at any other time than midnight PST April 10th. They have always done this in the past and don't see a reason why they'd change it.

4. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Ahhhh, wait a second there feller.

I seem to recall some 5am, 3am PST and whatnot rollouts.

8am...etc.

I'm not so sure their consistent

Correct me if i'm wrong.

5. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Oh I forgot haha! I have been thinking mainly about the last couple iPhones going on sale at midnight, my bad :D

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Apple products generally come charged.

7. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i am pretty sure the last ipad air went on sale in the morning... i am sure more information will become available the closer we get to the 10th.

8. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I kind of hope it'll be at midnight, so it will weed out any non-hardcore people and leave just the diehards to get the Apple Watch.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I don't think they will deviate from their usual schedule. It will likely be 12AM PST which is 3AM EST and 8AM GMT Friday morning.

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Yes. That is what I am hoping. I expect they will charge them and then turn them off for shipping.

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I would be pretty disappointed if we're all expecting the preorders to happen at midnight but then have to wait until 8AM PST.

Looks like I have to plan to sleep earlier just in case. :D

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Only precedent that matters is recent, since Tim Cook took over. Apple's servers can't handle the load even with the "few" people ordering in the middle of the night. No way they subject themselves to a PR disaster by starting sales when all of the US is awake and waiting! It will continue to be midnight Pacific time.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

I believe it only takes about an hour and a half to fully charge the watch. Also there will be some level of charge probably around 70% to 80% so it won't be fully charged when it gets to the consumer.

14. techguy9 macrumors regular

techguy9

You're right, I got my iPad Air 2 at about a 73% charge if I'm correct, so the :apple:Watch should come at around a 70% charge.

15. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

generally yes, but even fully charged and active, the watch only lasts ~18 hours, plus a couple of days of 'emergency' use.

by the time you get it, I suspect it will have been sitting in a box for well over a week and be pretty dead battery-wise

16. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

It will be turned off, so the battery won't be draining.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

Even turned off the battery will be draining. This is inherent of all electronic devices that use rechargeable batteries. It just drains much more slowly.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Also, since it will be early morning in France and the UK, where they have luxury retailers that will showcase the Watch starting on the 10th, I expect 12:00PDT so that those stores can place pre-orders. I'm not sure how they'll handle the store in Japan, since 12:00PDT would be early afternoon there.

19. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Every iPhone, iPad and Macbook I've ordered comes with at least 70% charge.

20. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

thanks

21. Arnieaz macrumors member

PDT vs PST

California and most other states are observing DST now aren't they?

22. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes. So we think it will be 12:00PDT, or in your case, MST.

23. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

But an 18 hour battery isn't going to drain all the way in a couple weeks.

24. AFDoc macrumors 68030

LoL at you and your silly prediction.

25. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Even if it has an internal clock that is running it should not be draining the battery very much. I have a Seiko self winding watch that will sit in the drawer for 4 years and keep the time. It can go for so long because after a day off it stops moving the hands until you pick it up again. I just wore it for a day after having it off for 6 months and it was fun watching all of the dials and hands catch up. It even got leap year right. IT WAS off by two minutes but that is an easy fix.